Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dsutton01

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 12, 2012
Hi everyone. Hoping to get a few opinions about a macbook air.

I bought a 2012 i5/128/4 model at Best Buy open box, and got it fairly cheap. Happy with the purchase, but still within my return period and found the same model on eBay from the "refurbished outlet" for $60 less since I won't pay tax or shipping. considering returning the open box at Best Buy to save the $60, which I plan to put towards my SSD upgrade.

I'm wondering if it may be worth keeping the Best Buy version since it's not technically refurbished, and maybe that's worth something. Also best buy gave me 18 months no-interest financing, so that helps too, though I don't mind paying for it all at once.

Is it worth saving the $60 to get the refurb model?

thanks

akwarner

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2006
Hi everyone. Hoping to get a few opinions about a macbook air.

Is it worth saving the $60 to get the refurb model?

I would keep what you have. It works and you have no issue with it. Another one "could" have an issue (I've had a fantastic experience with refurbs and buy them without hesitation) and if you had to mail it back for a repair / exchange for any reason it would eat up savings and time. For $60 I would stay put. Just my thoughts.

$60 is $60 but it's up to you. Plus if you're taking advantage of the 18 month free financing that should soften the blow a bit too.

A.

dbroncos78087

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2013
Northern Virginia
I would keep what you have because even though the eBay model should be backed by a warranty of some kind they can't give you the ability to repurchase the Best Buy floor model. If something goes wrong with the eBay one you won't (likely) be able to get the Best Buy one back. You'll be stuck hoping for another quality open box or paying full price.

dsutton01

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 12, 2012
Thanks guys - good points, and it probably makes sense to just keep it. It's my first mac, and other then not having enough storage (and I will probably upgrade to a 256), I just can't get used to the keyboard commands (i'm a windows guy). Not sure i'm going to manage!

sandra.parker

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2013
Warning about Best Buy Open Box Purchase

I purchased my MacBook Air from Best Buy on an "open box" basis in May 2012. They told me that it was a display, just removed from the box. I assumed I had the Apple warranty with it. No one said anything to the contrary. When I took the computer to the Apple store a few days ago to talk about an issue I was having, they checked on the serial number and discovered that my MacBook Air had been bought by someone else in December 2011 and apparently returned to Best Buy, and the warranty was over, because it ran December 2011 to December 2012. The Apple store suggested I call the 800 number for Apple, and they said that Apple would honor the warranty from May 2012-May 2013 if I produced my receipt. I called them, but they would not honor it. I had planned on buying Apple Care, so they did allow me to do that, but running from the original December date. Basically I lost out on an extra 5 months of warranty that I would have had if the unit had been new as represented by Best Buy. The bottom line is, CHECK WITH APPLE to make sure your item is "NEW" and the warranty is in place. Needless to say, I am not very happy with Best Buy, and won't be purchasing any more big ticket items there.

dbroncos78087

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2013
Northern Virginia
Thanks guys - good points, and it probably makes sense to just keep it. It's my first mac, and other then not having enough storage (and I will probably upgrade to a 256), I just can't get used to the keyboard commands (i'm a windows guy). Not sure i'm going to manage!

You will use as much storage as you buy. I have 500gb on my current laptop but could easily live with 128 on a new MBA (or anything else). The additional storage is not necessary to me due to the massive storage capabilities that can be purchased easily.

help4desk

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2013
You will use as much storage as you buy. I have 500gb on my current laptop but could easily live with 128 on a new MBA (or anything else). The additional storage is not necessary to me due to the massive storage capabilities that can be purchased easily.

It depends from your needs. I use my MBA with 128GB as a primary PC and I'd need much more. Just for itunes library, and backup of one ipad and two iphones requires more than 50-60GB. Having an hard disk connected all the time isn't that funny and reduce your use of peripherals (only 2 usb in the machine). Even 256gb can be quite a small capacity.

sostoobad

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2011
Boston
I purchased my MacBook Air from Best Buy on an "open box" basis in May 2012. They told me that it was a display, just removed from the box. I assumed I had the Apple warranty with it. No one said anything to the contrary. When I took the computer to the Apple store a few days ago to talk about an issue I was having, they checked on the serial number and discovered that my MacBook Air had been bought by someone else in December 2011 and apparently returned to Best Buy, and the warranty was over, because it ran December 2011 to December 2012. The Apple store suggested I call the 800 number for Apple, and they said that Apple would honor the warranty from May 2012-May 2013 if I produced my receipt. I called them, but they would not honor it. I had planned on buying Apple Care, so they did allow me to do that, but running from the original December date. Basically I lost out on an extra 5 months of warranty that I would have had if the unit had been new as represented by Best Buy. The bottom line is, CHECK WITH APPLE to make sure your item is "NEW" and the warranty is in place. Needless to say, I am not very happy with Best Buy, and won't be purchasing any more big ticket items there.

I would go back to best buy and try to get some satisfaction, can't hurt
they misled you.

dbroncos78087

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2013
Northern Virginia
It depends from your needs. I use my MBA with 128GB as a primary PC and I'd need much more. Just for itunes library, and backup of one ipad and two iphones requires more than 50-60GB. Having an hard disk connected all the time isn't that funny and reduce your use of peripherals (only 2 usb in the machine). Even 256gb can be quite a small capacity.

Point taken, everyone else's wants and needs are different. But you can change the backup location for your phones and ipad. But rest assured I know what you mean on this. I manage 5 iPads and 2 iPhones for myself, brother, dad, and grandparents. I use my Mac Mini for that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.