Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
While it may be the app, I have gotten slow-downs before it was installed. I either reboot or kill running apps from the recently used apps list. Usually speeds it up.

I should note my iPhone 4S does the same thing: gets slow at times.

That said, I mostly use GGC in games and have not noticed any lag in them that I could notice. I would think a game would show it the most.

My biggest issue with many games is screen tap recognition delay. Noticed it from day-one, long before I rooted. It is making many games unplayable. I know it is not the hardware in the N4 because of how fast tapping the nav buttons, among other things is. I hope this is not "just the way it is on Android." A perfect example is jetpack joy ride: the delay makes it very difficult to play the game compared to my iPhone/iPad. Heck I even dusted off my very first iPhone 1st gen and it played the game without that screen tap lag (albeit the game itself struggled to keep up). Yet the reviews on google play are positive? wtf

EDIT: WOW! I just figured out where the screen tap delay was coming from: having magnification on in accessibility under settings. That feature lets you tap 3 times quickly to zoom the screen. Apparently that adds a small tap delay in order to process the 3 taps. Turning that feature off made the game I mentioned above not have any screen tap delay at all.

Michael

Yeah I shouldn't blame the app so quickly. It's been running very smoothly all day today. I really really love this program. The only thing I miss is the status bar, I wish it had an option to turn off the navi bar but keep the status bar on.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Yeah I shouldn't blame the app so quickly. It's been running very smoothly all day today. I really really love this program. The only thing I miss is the status bar, I wish it had an option to turn off the navi bar but keep the status bar on.

I agree about the status bar. I think I am going to ask the dev if that option could be added. Perhaps not since the feature is called hiding the status bar (maybe that and nav bars come as a set). Worth asking.

Michael

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
I agree about the status bar. I think I am going to ask the dev if that option could be added. Perhaps not since the feature is called hiding the status bar (maybe that and nav bars come as a set). Worth asking.

Michael

Yeah I asked him in the XDA thread, so maybe if more people ask him. I think they just need separate toggles, so you can toggle both, or just one of the bars.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Made a nice breakthrough today.

First, I did in fact confirm GMD Gesture Control was causing not so much of a lag, but a downright small freeze for about 1/4-1/2 second or so when playing many games. It did it every 8-10 seconds or so and if it came at the wrong time it really messed me up.

Then I had an idea, as I didn't recall that happing with Hide Bar that I had used before GGC. So I installed that again too (I am using the free one I think from the dev's site).

I now have the best of both worlds: don't get that stuttering every 8-10 seconds but I still have all the gestures I had before. Better yet, the feature of GGC that turns the nav bars back on after the Nexus 4's sleep button is pressed still works. With just hide bar installed I had to get creative when trying to get back into the system with a battery-pull restart. Two quick presses of the sleep button and the bars are back (if in a game where the gestures do not work).

As a bonus I don't lose wallpaper anymore!

I've attached the demo version of hide bar here in case anyone wants it. You have to unzip before using it to install. It's safe. I intend to just buy it though as there is an icon it throws up on screen that is annoying. Just want to make sure there are no gotchas before I do.

Michael

Attachments

• HideBar_demo_1_10.apk.zip
    374.8 KB · Views: 55

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
Made a nice breakthrough today.

First, I did in fact confirm GMD Gesture Control was causing not so much of a lag, but a downright small freeze for about 1/4-1/2 second or so when playing many games. It did it every 8-10 seconds or so and if it came at the wrong time it really messed me up.

Then I had an idea, as I didn't recall that happing with Hide Bar that I had used before GGC. So I installed that again too (I am using the free one I think from the dev's site).

I now have the best of both worlds: don't get that stuttering every 8-10 seconds but I still have all the gestures I had before. Better yet, the feature of GGC that turns the nav bars back on after the Nexus 4's sleep button is pressed still works. With just hide bar installed I had to get creative when trying to get back into the system with a battery-pull restart. Two quick presses of the sleep button and the bars are back (if in a game where the gestures do not work).

As a bonus I don't lose wallpaper anymore!

I've attached the demo version of hide bar here in case anyone wants it. You have to unzip before using it to install. It's safe. I intend to just buy it though as there is an icon it throws up on screen that is annoying. Just want to make sure there are no gotchas before I do.

Michael

Nice, I'll check it out. Definitely getting lag from GMD, and mostly in full screen so that's the culprit. Does hide bar let you hide only the navi bar? Also can you map a GMD gesture to hide bar? I had 3 finger tap to go fullscreen and I liked it that way.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Nice, I'll check it out. Definitely getting lag from GMD, and mostly in full screen so that's the culprit. Does hide bar let you hide only the navi bar? Also can you map a GMD gesture to hide bar? I had 3 finger tap to go fullscreen and I liked it that way.
I don't see a way to hide just the nav bars.

Also, you can't add a shortcut for it in GGC because it will probably load the app not the trigger for it. In order to invoke hide bar there is a notification entry and/or a widget. If you can create a gesture for the widget it would probably work. But it didn't work when I tried to add it in Notification Toggles (it only brought up that app that is used to configure it).

But the good thing is that you can still use your gesture for toggling the status/nav bars back on. I did disable the screen touch area in hide bar to show/hid the bars as I didn't need it and since it is just single tap in one area too easy to hit my mistake. It's called kiosk mode and you are warned about it. But GGC can get them back. Also cycling the sleep button.

I did end up buying Hide Bar as that icon in the corner, a hot link to buy full version, was annoying (even though the icon goes away the hot link seems to stay).

Michael

----------

I can finally play my beloved Army of Darkness nice and smoothly. :)

Michael

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.