Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

NewImage15.png
Twitter's popular six-second video sharing app Vine has received its first major update, adding support for the iPhone's front-facing camera and Twitter mentions in posts and comments.
You can now shoot with the front-facing camera. When creating a post, tap the button in the bottom left corner to try the front-facing camera. You can switch back and forth between the regular and front-facing camera as many times as you want.

Vine now supports mentions, so you can tag people in your post. Users who are mentioned will receive a notification in Activity. To mention a user, type @username and select the name among the suggestions you'll see. See the screenshot below for an example -- when I type @chris, I see suggestions for Chris Fry, Chris Hardwick and Christofer Drew. When I select Chris Hardwick, his Vine profile will automatically link in my post's caption.
Vine can be downloaded free from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Vine Adds Support for Mentions and Front-Facing Camera

mms13

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2010
Baltimore, MD
It's still lacking privacy settings which is a huge bummer for me. I don't feel comfortable posting any Vine videos until I can make my profile private.

M

Mr.damien

Tried, sucks. Nothing interesting outside 5 Vine Picks. all the rest is teenagers doing **** with their phones.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
how about a way to delete accounts. I'm tired of these apps or services that let you sign up, but offer no way to delete your account if you find it's not for you.

nikpawlak

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2010
Mooresville NC
The insane cache size that vine takes up is a bit ridiculous. The fact that there is no way to clear your app without deleting and reinstalling. Currently vine is taking up over 600mb on my phone. That seems a bit ridiculous.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
The app needs:
  • Option to not record audio
  • iPad universal
  • Ability to use existing video footage (with similar hold to record UI)

mms13

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2010
Baltimore, MD
The insane cache size that vine takes up is a bit ridiculous. The fact that there is no way to clear your app without deleting and reinstalling. Currently vine is taking up over 600mb on my phone. That seems a bit ridiculous.

Yes, this. Terrible app design. My Facebook cache gets huge too.

ZacNicholson

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2011
Austin

if you're jailbroken you can install an app called iCleaner and it'll clean any apps cache you want. I usually use it about every two weeks because the sizes of caches can get too big for my phone.

drummingcraig

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2007
"Armpit of the South"
Tried, sucks. Nothing interesting outside 5 Vine Picks. all the rest is teenagers doing **** with their phones.

This.

I haven't found a good way to browse other Vine clips. Yes, you can use the "popular now" or "trending now" features but 95% of those are kids acting stupid or adults acting like stupid kids. Why can't I browse at least a selection of recent Vine clips?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.