Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fondaparinux

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 13, 2013
Scott Forstall has always been called the "Mini-Steve". He does things Steve would do. And Steve has been very close with him.

But Forstall had such a poor relationship with Ive and Mansfield that he could not be in a meeting with them unless Cook mediated; reportedly, Forstall and Ive did not cooperate at any level.

Jobs' death left Forstall without a protector.

What if Scott Forstall was chosen as the CEO, not Tim?

Would Apple be what Steve Jobs would have turned it into? What would things be like?

Would it be a better Apple?

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
Steve chose Tim, not Scott. I can only assume he had good reasons for doing it. Scott as CEO is the ultimate "Steve would never have allowed that."

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
I didn't like Forstall much. His presentation style seemed ridden with faux enthusiasm and I don't think he did iOS many favours after version 4. All he ever seemed to do was add another damn icon you couldn't delete and make it a little slower on my iPhone with every release. Not to mention the problems people had with Maps, Podcast App, Passbook and the rest.

He was all looks and no trousers in my mind. Just like the software that was produced under his rule. Good riddance.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Scott Forstall has always been called the "Mini-Steve". He does things Steve would do. And Steve has been very close with him.

But Forstall had such a poor relationship with Ive and Mansfield that he could not be in a meeting with them unless Cook mediated; reportedly, Forstall and Ive did not cooperate at any level.

Jobs' death left Forstall without a protector.

What if Scott Forstall was chosen as the CEO, not Tim?

Would Apple be what Steve Jobs would have turned it into? What would things be like?

Would it be a better Apple?
What exactly about Forstall would make Apple better? Would Apple be better if Mansfield and Ive no longer worked there? Also if Forstall would be a better CEO, why did Steve recommend Cook and not Forstall?

Spacial

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2013
Anyone in the CEO position would face a massive challenge. Steve Jobs was worshiped like a God, and took credit for everything. He was so influential and convincing, people believed his every word. When a company is built around one man, that's a risky strategy. And Apple isn't the first company to suffer when their bigger than life, leader expires. The major differences are Apples extreme success and ultra high visibility. With some of their advantage gone, plus the loss of their ability to be nimble, it's only inevitable that times become more challenging.

famous600

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2010
Anyone in the CEO position would face a massive challenge. Steve Jobs was worshiped like a God, and took credit for everything. He was so influential and convincing, people believed his every word. When a company is built around one man, that's a risky strategy. And Apple isn't the first company to suffer when their bigger than life, leader expires. The major differences are Apples extreme success and ultra high visibility. With some of their advantage gone, plus the loss of their ability to be nimble, it's only inevitable that times become more challenging.

Steve Jobs, Tim Cook, Scott Forstall. None of them would be where they are if it wasn't for Ive and his designs and his never ending desire to create.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.