Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
would be cool to see the next line of apple products to have the finger print scanner in the home button, ipad, iphone, ipod

ThisIsNotMe

Suspended
Aug 11, 2008
Why do people keep saying that the finger print sensor will be embedded in the home button???

AuthenTec was developing finger print sensors EMBEDDED in the touchscreen.

TheMaddawg

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2013
If the finger print recognition was in the touchscreen itself and while you slide your finger to unlock, it recognized your finger, it would be a seamless integration. Then if it did not recognize your finger it could ask for a passcode or you could slide to unlock again. This would add no visible sensor and the user would have nothing different to do than what everyone already does.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2012
PA
I can maybe see this instead of password lock but not in place of the home button...

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
Gimmicky IMO...
Call it Gimmicky in the public sector perhaps, but a very secure proven technology that has been a staple of ThinkPad T & W corporate laptops for over a decade.

I swear there are times and features that Apple refuses to include simply out of spite against the competition that implemented a certain feature before Apple. :eek:

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011
Why do people keep saying that the finger print sensor will be embedded in the home button???

Because their patent includes fingerprint sensors embedded in buttons.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Apple incorporating any of the R&D patent inventions into their next iPhone would be a win-win. Unfortunately most of the R&D winds up going nowhere.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
Would be nice but what does this add to make the phone better. Seems like eye candy, just as Siri is. Once the novelty wears off, nobody will care. A bigger and wider phone would be awesome, like 4.5 inches.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
In the increasingly competitive media circus. The press will hammer apple no matter what they do as its a "strong angle for them to leverage"

Siri. - Fantastic in quite situations.

Maps. - another media storm in a tea cup has anyone here actually have a problem with maps.

iCloud. - Works great for me thanks.

Siri is OK for me, yet about a third of the time it gets what I'm saying completely wrong.

Maps and iCloud, on the other hand, are useless. In the UK, Maps seems to provide no, or very inaccurate, POIs, along with bad quality satellite imagery.
iCloud is also awful with the whole syncing business - I constantly get duplicate calendars, alarms, notes and sometimes they just don't sync at all.

KieranDotW

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
Canada
To me, this would be very useful purely out of fear. Last year at school I was often bullied for being gay (really just a rumor) and people would steal my phone and try to send "coming out" text messages to my friends. I used a pass code lock but they would just hit me until I told them. With a fingerprint sensor I wouldn't have to worry as much -- theoretically, no one would be able to get into my phone but me.

seble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2010
To me, this would be very useful purely out of fear. Last year at school I was often bullied for being gay (really just a rumor) and people would steal my phone and try to send "coming out" text messages to my friends. I used a pass code lock but they would just hit me until I told them. With a fingerprint sensor I wouldn't have to worry as much -- theoretically, no one would be able to get into my phone but me.

Sorry to hear that dude, but theoretically they would as if they could bully you into putting in your passcode, they could just as easily bully you into swiping your finger. Where the fingerprint is better is if your phone got lost or stolen for example, if it was 100% reliable and there was no code to fall back onto, no one would be able to gain access to your phone

dtalksall

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2013
I heard on the news that banks/credit card companies are going to start implementing fingerprint scanning for more secure mobile & internet banking. All the PC's in my house have a fingerprint scanner, yet the rMBP I will be buying does not. :mad:

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Implementing it for Apple would be easy. Question is will it be more of a toy or serious application. In order to be a success, A fingerprint scanner must be truly secure and easily usable. We've seen fingerprint scanners in Laptops etc and they have never been a big hit beause of practicality

kdarling

macrumors P6

Link or reference? I think you're mixing in something that Apple was working on before (combination screen and scanner).

As for fingerprint sensors, they've been used in handhelds since at least the turn of the century. They're like a fad that shows up every few years.

As I've mentioned before, the first "retina" screen phone (the 2007 Toshiba Portege G900) had a fingerprint sensor that could be used not only for unlocking, but also for scrolling.

The Toshiba smartphone also had a mode where each of your fingers could be assigned to launch a different application when scanned.

Apple's recent patents indicate that they'd most likely use a sensor to authenticate tickets, payments, etc. Of course, you'd probably still want a PIN as a backup in case you cannot use your fingers for some reason.

Shadyriley

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2009
This would only work well for Apple if it could read your print in 1.2 seconds. Think about how easy to would be to log onto Facebook, make NFC payments, unlock your phone. People would love this feature.

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011
AuthenTec's technology is very high tech. They can embed in plastic or under glass, enabling the home button to function as a scanner. It can recognize a "live" finger vs a print on plastic or a dead finger... Very fast, very accurate. Just what a phone needs for really useful fingerprint verification.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.