Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Jan 6, 2014, 07:01 PM   #151
iJohnHenry
Banned

Ah, even the Krell, with their advance intellect, could never have foreseen creatures from the Id.

iJohnHenry is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2014, 08:37 PM   #152
Sydde
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingalexthe1st View Post
Evolution is the result of natural selection. Maybe thinking of it that way clarifies things? Before Darwin's theory (and Wallace's, if we're getting technical) was published, people knew that evolution occurred. They could see animals changing in the fossil record, but they were confused as to how it was happening. It was when natural selection was published that the 'a-ha' moment came and we were all enlightened as to the mechanism that drives it.
Not quite. Even Chuck believed in some mechanism of acquired trait transfer. Like, if you became burly and tanned from working in the fields, that should show up in your offspring. This would greatly compress the timeframe of species development (because billions of years is such a hard concept to grasp). Not sure if this suggested that an amputee should not have children lest they also be born shy on limbs. But it does bear on ...

Quote:
When I was younger I just couldn't understand how the dinosaurs had 165 million years to play with, and yet hadn't got smart like us. And then we turn up, and in 2 million years build cities and rocket ships to the moon and beyond.
... the fact that homo sapiens mental capacity has not changed significantly in the time that we have existed on this pebble. It is generally thought that if you were to be able to magically transport a cro-magnon baby to 1996, by today they would be basically indistinguishable from any other modern teenager in terms of how well they have done in school (whether some insurance company would have snapped them up for ads is another matter entirely). It would appear that human progress has largely been a matter of us struggling with each other to make things better: we have met the enemy and he is us.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 08:55 PM   #153
kingalexthe1st
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydde View Post
Not quite. Even Chuck believed in some mechanism of acquired trait transfer. Like, if you became burly and tanned from working in the fields, that should show up in your offspring. This would greatly compress the timeframe of species development (because billions of years is such a hard concept to grasp).
Really? I had no idea he thought that. It's shown to be utterly wrong though. (Saying that. there was an article I read a while back showing how famine had changed the genetics in the sperm and eggs of people in eastern europe. Can't remember it, I'll try and find it) Just because he thought it doesn't automatically make it right. He admitted that he found it hard to believe the eye evolved through natural selection....but it has. I haven't actually read 'On the origin of species' but I'm told that a few of the unanswered questions in it have been answered by genetics.

Quote:
the fact that homo sapiens mental capacity has not changed significantly in the time that we have existed on this pebble. It is generally thought that if you were to be able to magically transport a cro-magnon baby to 1996, by today they would be basically indistinguishable from any other modern teenager in terms of how well they have done in school (whether some insurance company would have snapped them up for ads is another matter entirely). It would appear that human progress has largely been a matter of us struggling with each other to make things better: we have met the enemy and he is us.
I absolutely agree with this. I doubt we've increased in intelligence that much more than from 10,000 years ago (20,000? 50,000?). It's just that technology and knowledge is all built upon foundations laid by others in the past. As Newton said 'I have seen so far only because I have stood on the shoulders of giants'. It raises the question, if human intelligence has plateaued (let's say it has for the sake of argument), are there aliens on other worlds who's intelligence has also plateaued but at a higher level? Or a lower level? What does this mean for the speed of technological innovation and scientific understanding after the plateau is achieved? Clearly, there a million ways to get off topic

Alex
EDIT: I think I may have read your post wrong, Sydde. Are you saying that there was a theory around beforehand, thus showing my post about people being confused at the time to be false? Or are you saying that natural selection also has some lamarckian traits to it?

Last edited by kingalexthe1st; Jan 6, 2014 at 09:02 PM.
kingalexthe1st is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2014, 09:27 PM   #154
Sydde
macrumors 68000

Quote:
EDIT: I think I may have read your post wrong, Sydde. Are you saying that there was a theory around beforehand, thus showing my post about people being confused at the time to be false? Or are you saying that natural selection also has some lamarckian traits to it?
Pangenesis
Old Jan 6, 2014, 09:57 PM   #155
kingalexthe1st
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Not sure what the point is you're trying to make, with a one-word post? Are you saying pangenesis is right? Or that Darwin wasn't right all the time? Or that there were theories around before natural selection? Or that natural selection isn't the only driving force to evolution? C'mon Sydde, throw me a bone here....

Alex
Old Jan 6, 2014, 10:04 PM   #156
Sydde
macrumors 68000

Sorry, it is a Wikipedia link to a sort of lamarckian-type theory Darwin favored, even when it was shown to be pretty shaky.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 10:25 PM   #157
kingalexthe1st
macrumors 6502

Yeah, I read the link. I had no idea Darwin thought there could be inheritable acquired characterstics, in whatever guise. It's very interesting. Either way, I originally used 'Origin...' (many a post ago) merely to illustrate the difference between evolution and natural selection.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 09:17 AM   #158
iJohnHenry
Banned

Quote:
we have met the enemy and he is us.
Credit.

iJohnHenry is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2014, 01:22 PM   #159
jnpy!$4g3cwk
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Yeah, I read the link. I had no idea Darwin thought there could be inheritable acquired characterstics, in whatever guise. It's very interesting. Either way, I originally used 'Origin...' (many a post ago) merely to illustrate the difference between evolution and natural selection.
Interestingly enough, this is an idea which has come back to life yet again in a different form with Transgenerational Epigenetics:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transge...al_epigenetics

Darwin came before Mendel. Inheritance was under study throughout this time, but, not definitively understood until much later.
jnpy!$4g3cwk is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues