Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

giraffeboy27

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 5, 2013
Hi, I'm thinking of getting a refurbished iPad 3. What software do you think it will come with? Do they normally come with the latest, or the origonal version it debuted with?

Sorry if its a silly thing to ask :) Just seeing if i could jailbreak it ;)

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru
Hi, I'm thinking of getting a refurbished iPad 3. What software do you think it will come with? Do they normally come with the latest, or the origonal version it debuted with?

Sorry if its a silly thing to ask :) Just seeing if i could jailbreak it ;)

I'm thinking ios 6 since they do have to test it so that it's in good condition, and I think the just update it through the repairing process

TPadden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010
.... And my Verizon refurbished 3 3G came from Apple last week w/ 5.01. Kind of tells me it was leftover new instead of refurbished in spite of the label.

nehope

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2012
I recently had to replace my smashed iPad 3 with 2 "brown" box versions. The first came with 5.0.1 but had a scratch on the screen so they gave me another "brown" box replacement. The second one (still have it) came with 6.0.1. I'm assuming it all depends on how long they sit around in the back waiting to be adopted.

TPadden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010
I recently had to replace my smashed iPad 3 with 2 "brown" box versions. The first came with 5.0.1 but had a scratch on the screen so they gave me another "brown" box replacement. The second one (still have it) came with 6.0.1. I'm assuming it all depends on how long they sit around in the back waiting to be adopted.
Hard to tell what your "brown" means; if it just means refurbished or means brown box.

My refurbished 3 came in a "white" box, just like a new one, with a little, itty bitty "refurbished" sticker on the "white" box. :)

Just went and looked at it and it's actually printed on the white box ......

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.