Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

clukas

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 3, 2010
So Im currently in the market to purchase an Apple TV, mainly for Airplay Mirroring and watching Netflix. So I know that the current gen has been out for around 518 days and the Buyer's Guide says not to buy, so taking all these things into consideration is it likely apple will release a new Apple TV version in autumn? There have been very few rumours regarding the Apple TV, and I guess Apple is busy prepping iOS 7 for launch. Realistically what I see Apple could do is simply upgrade some internal specs such as inserting an A7 chip.

So is it worth waiting for a new Apple TV or just buy now?

Thanks.

Last edited:

cxc273

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2012
There haven't been many rumblings about a new Apple TV.

I guess it's certainly possible they could upgrade the chip an A7, but my question would be why? I'm not an expert on hardware, but if the current chip works just fine for pushing out 1080p content, there's no economic reason for Apple to put a more expensive chip in -- it would just cut their profit margins. They might consider upgrading the chip if they decide to turn the Apple TV into a gaming platform, for example.

Most of the changes for the Apple TV have been on the software side -- the additions of Watch ESPN and HBO Go are among the most recent. It seems that moving forward, we'll see more content added through these software updates.

My advice would be if the current Apple TV does what you want, go ahead and buy. You can snag a refurbished one from Apple's website for $75. However, if it doesn't do what you want, then just wait.

Decimotox

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2013
Best 99 bucks I ever spent. (Could be 75 for you if you buy refurbished from Apple) ;)

clukas

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 3, 2010
Thanks for the advise. I think Ill go ahead and purchase the current gen Apple TV.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.