Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davidinva

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
After searching and posting on here, I find that my 2008 MacBook will support HDMI video-only and not sound. My MB works with my Panasonic HDTV through VGA ok and I will have to have a separate audio cable. Does it make much difference in picture quality? (HDMI vs. VGA). I need about 20' foot of video and audio cable to use in order to not move my MB from its Internet connection. (My tv is not wi-fi enabled.)

Summary:

HDMI cable plus separate audio cable?
or
VGA cable plus separate audio cable?
or
HDMI or VGA cable and use my existing external computer speakers for sound?

sbddude

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2010
Nor Cal, USA
After searching and posting on here, I find that my 2008 MacBook will support HDMI video-only and not sound. My MB works with my Panasonic HDTV through VGA ok and I will have to have a separate audio cable. Does it make much difference in picture quality? (HDMI vs. VGA). I need about 20' foot of video and audio cable to use in order to not move my MB from its Internet connection. (My tv is not wi-fi enabled.)

Summary:

HDMI cable plus separate audio cable?
or
VGA cable plus separate audio cable?
or
HDMI or VGA cable and use my existing external computer speakers for sound?

HDMI will be better quality and it is probably cheaper to get a 20 foot HDMI cable rather than 20 foot VGA.

check monoprice.com

davidinva

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
HDMI to MacBook

Thanks. That's what my local Mac (not an Apple Store) dealer told me about the picture on the tv. After I get a connector, I'll try it with the HDMI cable on the tv set before purchasing one. If that works, I'll try it with my external speakers before buying a separate audio cable. I ordered a connector from the local BB that is supposed to fit my MacBook. If so, I may be in business. Otherwise, back to the VGA.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.