Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Dec 17, 2012, 09:08 PM   #1
HeyKatie
macrumors regular

mutiple devices

I'm getting an iPad mini for Christmas and I've never had more than one iDevice at a time so I'm not sure how the whole syncing two different devices works. I'll be using the mini for movies and games, how do I go about getting my game data off of my phone and onto the mini?
HeyKatie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 09:11 PM   #2
irDigital0l

Basically music, movies, apps, books, etc. you purchase/download on iTunes will be pushed into iCloud (assuming you make a free account).

As for game data. If the game supports iCloud saving then you'll get your saved data automatically. Games like Angry Birds, Plants vs Zombies, etc. don't support iCloud so you'll have to start over.
irDigital0l is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 09:19 PM   #3
HeyKatie
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by irDigital0l View Post
Basically music, movies, apps, books, etc. you purchase/download on iTunes will be pushed into iCloud (assuming you make a free account).

As for game data. If the game supports iCloud saving then you'll get your saved data automatically. Games like Angry Birds, Plants vs Zombies, etc. don't support iCloud so you'll have to start over.
Thanks
HeyKatie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 09:24 PM   #4
Tortri
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyKatie View Post
Thanks
Back one idevice and restore it to the other via iTunes.

Assuming ur using the same iTunes account anything you buy u can put on the other device for free. Restore ur purchases for in app purchases. And movies, music, anything u buy off iTunes will work on ur other device at no charge.

And with iCloud you can sync all ur photos(not videos), calendar, notes, reminders, etc.

Last edited by Tortri; Dec 17, 2012 at 09:32 PM.
Tortri is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 10:12 PM   #5
SnowLeopard OSX
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyKatie View Post
Thanks
Download DropBox for both devices as well, to be able to have quick access to files in DropBox's cloud (assuming you have a DropBox account) including photostream content in the cloud. You can hand pick which content you want to sync between devices usually in iTunes on a computer.
iPhone |4S White/16GB/ iOS 7.0|3G White/16GB iOS 4.2.1
SnowLeopard OSX is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 11:32 PM   #6
AlterZgo
macrumors member

Quote:
If you back up your old device to your computer and restore from backup to your new device, all the game saves, including Angry Birds and PVZ, will be restored to the new device.
AlterZgo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 11:42 PM   #7
irDigital0l

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlterZgo View Post
If you back up your old device to your computer and restore from backup to your new device, all the game saves, including Angry Birds and PVZ, will be restored to the new device.
But they have different versions (iPhone only and iPad HD).

Only works on universal ones I thought?
irDigital0l is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 04:31 PM   #8
dancj
macrumors regular

Quote:
But they have different versions (iPhone only and iPad HD).

Only works on universal ones I thought?
It depends on the game.

Some games use iCloud to store your game saves so they'll be okay (but most of those are universal already).

There are also some games where the iPad and iPhone versions are different, but you can transfer the game save files from one to the other. You'll need some software like iexplorer on your PC/mac. I managed to transfer my progress in Dead Space using this method.
dancj is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad