Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
Yeah, Anandtech's battery life tests are now very suspicious and untrustworthy. Comparing their past battery life tests with their current ones, the same devices give wildly different numbers and is as if they are saying all the battery life tests they've done in the past is crap and they don't know how to conduct consistent tests. They don't even list what sites they are loading or even the times they wait between loading.

Switchback666

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2012
SXM
Maybe this would actually mean something had you actually read the review text. You would have found that the test methodology changed. :rolleyes:

Notice that the second series of tests has AT Smartphone Bench 2013 in the title.

Sure, maybe next year will be the same :rolleyes: ?

Maybe you next time you mind to read the whole post where i say how i dont trust these reviews and why.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
Yeah, Anandtech's battery life tests are now very suspicious and untrustworthy. Comparing their past battery life tests with their current ones, the same devices give wildly different numbers and is as if they are saying all the battery life tests they've done in the past is crap and they don't know how to conduct consistent tests. They don't even list what sites they are loading or even the times they wait between loading.

They said they've recently improved their tests to approximate real-life usage. I don't tend to worry about the numbers as much as how my phone compares to others, the tests are useful for gauging that information.

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
They said they've recently improved their tests to approximate real-life usage. I don't tend to worry about the numbers as much as how my phone compares to others, the tests are useful for gauging that information.

I don't even remotely see how Anandtech's battery life tests are at all approximating real-life usage when they don't even tell you what sites they are loading and how long they wait before loading. The Anandtech battery life description even says they try to avoid caching, which is not at all realistic. And they don't even scroll or zoom into the page that a normal person would do. Anandtech's battery life tests are unrealistic and inconsistent.

dalbir4444

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2012
I don't even remotely see how Anandtech's battery life tests are at all approximating real-life usage when they don't even tell you what sites they are loading and how long they wait before loading. The Anandtech battery life description even says they try to avoid caching, which is not at all realistic. And they don't even scroll or zoom into the page that a normal person would do. Anandtech's battery life tests are unrealistic and inconsistent.

I wouldn't just single out Anandtech. I haven't ever seen a battery test done comprehensively for any phone. Unless someone can point me to one.

The Face

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2012
As for performance, it is the first phone to break the 2000 point mark on the Geekbench 2 test.
I beg to differ, here's my score on the Note 2.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-11-18-13-00-24.png
    Screenshot_2012-11-18-13-00-24.png
    215.7 KB · Views: 89

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
For what it's worth, there's an entire thread going on at the iPhone forums with varying results of the iPhone 5 battery experience ranging from poor to good.

calderone

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2009
That's not of much use to someone who bought the 4S because of the battery life benchmarks based on the 'incorrect' tests.

Testing methodologies often change, as long as the methods are documented properly the results are still relevant.

The goal in any of these these tests is to mimic as closely as possible typical usage that isn't exactly the easiest thing to codify (for obvious reasons), hence testing methods are improved to get closer to that goal.

Any potential purchaser should closely consider the testing method being used and determine whether their usage is similar. Simply consuming the numbers without considering the method is what I would call being a 'poor consumer.'

I think the following post is a good example of problem:
For what it's worth, there's an entire thread going on at the iPhone forums with varying results of the iPhone 5 battery experience ranging from poor to good.

Switchback666

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2012
SXM
Sure so next year the iphone 5 will stop to have 9hrs+ battery life like the 4s did.

I no longer care about those things and rather go by people experience.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.