Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
U know what they say, if you can feel it, you are still alive. The problem is when you don't feel anything! :D

blokefromtheuk

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2013
tingling from charging iPhone5

I've had an iPhone 5 since October 2012 and it was bought from Vodafone UK.
I too get that tingling and I just held the phone in my right hand while rubbing my left hand along the radiator and the tingling is coming from the radiator! I release the phone and the tingling disappears.
The lead and charger plug was straight out of the box so is genuine.

LeeM

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2012
While I plug the iPhone to charge, I glide my finger tips on the back side of the iphone and get a tingle feeling. When I unplug the charger it doesn't have that feeling. Does anyone have this issue?

its if the charger isnt grounded. i get the same on my macbook if i use the power brick without the extension cable

Cavemanboy

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2014
It's completely normal.

I'm very sensitive to all electric flow systems, and have had a tingling/vibrating sensation with every apple handheld/laptop device I've ever owned, while it is plugged in. Although the sensation changes slightly with each device (because of differing construction) it is always present. With iPhone 5 it sort of feels like a sticky surface on the rear when I slide my finger on the metal. I also accentuates the feeling of the height of the non-matte Apple logo.

I only use the charger that comes with the phone. Don't worry about your product, no need to take it in for servicing.

jp2173

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2019
While I plug the iPhone to charge, I glide my finger tips on the back side of the iphone and get a tingle feeling. When I unplug the charger it doesn't have that feeling. Does anyone have this issue?
[doublepost=1553514238][/doublepost]Same.

Can also feel it if someone else is holding the phone and I run my fingers against their arm. Only when plugged in though.

bransoj

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2013
Been a while since i had my iPhone 5 but fairly sure mine used to do it as well.

Aston441

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
It means the neutral line in the wall has a current differential as compared to ground. A good electrical system would not have a differential like that, it would have zero differential between neutral/ground.

With modern US wiring, at a 120v socket, neutral is usually white wire, and ground is usually green or bare copper uninsulated.

I'd find the fault in the house wiring, or call an electrician to fix it. It has the potential to be dangerous.

GhettoMrBob

macrumors regular
May 21, 2014
its if the charger isnt grounded. i get the same on my macbook if i use the power brick without the extension cable

I've experienced this as well. Also happens at the office where we have HP ProBooks that charge via 2-prong (non-grounded) USB-C chargers and you can feel the "vibration" feeling on their aluminum.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.