Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jharvey71884

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 3, 2011
I'm thinking about jumping over there. My family share Verizon bill is just getting up there and it would be nice to bring the payments down a bit.

Biggest thing I'm scared of is the quality. I would be using Verizon towers with an iPhone 5 at $25.00 a month financing.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Actually Straight Talk users are reporting that the iPhone 5 there is a CDMA version, probably on Verizon's network. And with no LTE.

ml.sail1

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2010
Pittsburgh
Isn't ST, really AT&T? So ur getting a new GSM phone?

According to some reports, the official ST iPhone (sold through Walmart with $25/month financing) runs on Verizon's network (as many "dumbphones" from ST do).

I'm thinking about jumping over there. My family share Verizon bill is just getting up there and it would be nice to bring the payments down a bit.

Biggest thing I'm scared of is the quality. I would be using Verizon towers with an iPhone 5 at $25.00 a month financing.

I can't exactly speak for the VZ aspect of things through ST, but I can vouch for Net10 (also an MVNO that runs on ATT's network). It is owned by the same parent company, and in the 1.5 months that I have used them have had great service. I used almost 9 hours of talk time and like 2.1GB of data in December and had no issues, but just sharing my experience.

corvus32

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
USA
iPhone 5 with no LTE? :eek:

But, is LTE worth the extra $40+ per month AT&T and Verizon charge you. That money adds up over time.

For me, LTE coverage sucks in my area, so I would be paying extra for something I couldn't really use. Besides, at those speeds, I want more than a measly 2GB, but the prices they charge for 4, 6, 8GB :eek:

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008
Reports I had seen indicated it was on the ATT network.

But looking at the coverage map, it pretty much lines up with the Verizon prepaid map.

I gave my brother in law my iPhone 4 last fall, and he is pretty happy with his usage patterns with it. Some internet access when he otherwise wouldn't have it, better coverage than his previous prepaid plan, unlimited talk/messages more important to him, and cheaper than what he was paying too.

Me, I signed up for another contract last fall for the 5, so I'm "stuck" :) I had figured out that, for me, the savings with going with ST would have taken me 25 months to make up. Benefits of a discount plan, and I don't need more than 200 messages/month. Or 450 anytime minutes.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Recently switched from AT&T and saved $155 a month. Everything works fine for me. I haven't gotten up dropped calls, MMS/Data/Text works and my speeds around 5up, 2down.

x2thaz

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2012
I got myself an unlocked 16gb from the apple store and ordered my ST sim card from Walmart. I had to cut the sim card to fit into the nano tray and works pretty good. For $45 a month thats a steal, the only negative thing is that I only get 1 or 2 bars in my house but every where else is really good.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
If it doesn't utilize LTE it should be straightforward as to the carrier.

AT&T will show 4G (likely unless you're VERY rural), Verizon will show 3G.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.