Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SprSynJn

Sep 15, 2011
Japan
I always closed apps on my iPhones. So its no different to how I use my GS3. Whats the problem?

Doesn't iOS only allow certain apps to run in the background? Whereas Android allows anything. When I lock my iPhone, processes like navigation stop as well. Why doesn't it do that on the GS3? That's my problem with it. I don't want to have to close every app in order to get a better battery life in daily use. And closing apps in the tray in iOS doesn't make a difference at all. Seems like a placebo effect many people have gotten used to.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Doesn't iOS only allow certain apps to run in the background? Whereas Android allows anything. When I lock my iPhone, processes like navigation stop as well. Why doesn't it do that on the GS3? That's my problem with it. I don't want to have to close every app in order to get a better battery life in daily use. And closing apps in the tray in iOS doesn't make a difference at all. Seems like a placebo effect many people have gotten used to.

it most certainty continues to run. I always lock my phone when using GPS. As for closing apps in the "tray", that also has an effect. For example, when I am at work I use a google chat app that runs in the background (even effects battery life)....when I leave I "kill it" in the tray and my battery life is better and I no longer get chats.

N0ddie

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2011
Glasgow

At what point did I mention anything about closing apps affecting my battery life?

FYI, I see similar battery performance between my old IP5 and current GS3. Doing exactly the same stuff and closing apps (Like I've always did).

SprSynJn

Sep 15, 2011
Japan
I'll have to test that out next time I use it. Was pretty sure it stopped when I locked it. Sure didn't have much of an effect on battery for me after I did it though.

Regardless, my friends phone dying like that was pretty common for me when I had an Android.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I'll have to test that out next time I use it. Was pretty sure it stopped when I locked it. Sure didn't have much of an effect on battery for me after I did it though.

Regardless, my friends phone dying like that was pretty common for me when I had an Android.

If you use the apple maps, it will actually still display the directions on the lock screen. The other map apps will continue to speak the directions, but you will have to unlock the phone to view the route.

----------

At what point did I mention anything about closing apps affecting my battery life?

FYI, I see similar battery performance between my old IP5 and current GS3. Doing exactly the same stuff and closing apps (Like I've always did).

Likewise, When I had an s3 I never had an issue getting through an entire day.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
I can see the argument to standardise all mobile chargers and connectors but if they were to do that I would support the lightning connector being the standard, if only Apple would allow its use to others.

I would support that too. But you and I both know that will never happen.

Michael

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona

Just like it was when I was using my 4S. Couldn't make it through a day without charging. Supposedly the iPhone 5 is better. But so are many current Android phones, including my Note 2. And I have a spare battery if needed (I haven't yet). With my iPhone I carried an external spare battery, plus charging cable (needed it regularly).

My point is the gentleman said he gets through the day similar to how it was on his iPhone. I see nothing unreasonable about that; and I know several people with S3s (who do not complain about battery life).

Michael

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012

Apple maps/nav has great integration when using it. If plugged in the screen will remain on. If not it will come on to give you directions. Same if its locked.

Google maps does the same thing but uses notification (like a text message on the lock screen but they disappear with a new direction). Instead of an alert sound you get the generic "turn in xxx distance" sound.

Both Apple maps and 3rd party google maps (only two I use) will not time out or go into a suspended state when locked.

Personally NOW (finally) I find turn by turn to be very good on my 4S with iOS 6.1.

Stuntman06

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Metro Vancouver, B.C, Canada
I can see the argument to standardise all mobile chargers and connectors but if they were to do that I would support the lightning connector being the standard, if only Apple would allow its use to others.

I do not see any Apple connectors being a standard across products from multiple vendors. Apple does not want that. They want third party accessories to work with Apple products only. They have enough clout that third party accessory makers tend to make stuff or Apple products only like bigger speakers for your iPhone to listen to music. There was a portable charging unit in Kickstarter that almost got cancelled because Apple didn't want such a device working with other non-Apple products as well as Apple products. They changed their mind once word got out. I'm sure Apple wanted such a product, but only work with Apple products.

I like some of the features in the lightning connector and would like to see it or something like it to be standardised across all products. It will not be the lightning connector, but most likely some other similar and possibly better connector that will be made in the future. With higher and higher powered portable/mobile devices, micro-USB cannot be used with higher powered devices. I always wondered why my tablet doesn't use a micro-USB connector, but a proprietary one. One of the reasons is likely power requirements that the micro-USB connector cannot support. Right now, micro-USB supports most mobile devices. Perhaps in the future when power requirements get higher and higher, we will end up standardising on a different connector with features that will rival the lightning connector, but work across many different products.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.