Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jokinha

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 10, 2013
Hi guys

I have a MacBook Pro and i spend most of my time in a coffee shop with friends.

There is a network in this coffee shop where we all are logged in to play online games and do other stuff on the internet.

Since we all are connected in the same network I think it's pretty possible to shutdown their computers through my, however, I own an macbook and all their computers are windows, so I don't know how to do this.

I have already search in google but didn't found any info about this.

Can someone do me a little tutorial about how to shutdown their computers through mine?

Thanks

Last edited:

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
Since we all are connected in the same network I think it's pretty possible to shutdown their computers through my, however, I own an macbook and all their computers are windows, so I don't know how to do this.

Please explain why you think this would be "pretty possible". Do you have evidence? Did someone else tell you this? Or is it just wishful thinking?

Maybe the reason you can't find instructions on how to do it is because it's not as possible as you think it is.

Jokinha

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 10, 2013
i have already heard stories of people in the same network making messages to appear in each others computers and turning them off.

However these people were using windows and not os x...

macman2023

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2008
Good luck! if something goes wrong, you might need a DeLorean to "undo"

It is easily possible with the correct knowledge of the computer in question and the network, it can even be done from anywhere in the world if your system and your target system are both on the internet! But before you get excited, there will be nothing but technical hurdles in your way and then legalities to be concerned over breaking if you are successful in your efforts. Most likely if you are at a public access point for internet there will be a security precaution known as isolation mode enabled to prevent exactly what you are hoping to do. Good luck finding a easy way around this without simply hacking the router at the coffee shop so that you have administrator control over it, and that would be very obvious to the owner if they setup and secured things like a good public wifi provider usually will. That aside, even if you do not have something preventing network access to your friends computers, they probably aren't just anonymously accessible. You will need not just a name and password to your friends computer, but one that has remote access enabled. And depending on the specific operating system, the ability to shut down the machine from a remote location might have to be explicitly set to be allowed and furthermore sometimes must additionally even named (Named - meaning you might have to know your computers IP address while on that public network and have your computers IP specifically programed into your friends computer as being a remote computer that has permission to shut down that friends computer). Also of coarse, if your friends have a security suite, a rule would need to be added to configure all of this to be allowed through their firewall. Now, even if you manage a solution to all that, are you sure your friends will take this jokingly? If not, it would be worse than being red handed, more like caught swimming in the paint bucket. If something backfires and someone wants to get back at you, you will have proven by all the steps necessary that you most certainly had an awareness of what you were doing, and that you continued anyway which shows malicious intent or some other legal mumbo jumbo I'm sure you can look into if ever necessary...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.