Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Mercurian

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 17, 2012
Also looking for an app to identify duplicates (not necessarily delete them mind you).

Through years of sloppy file keeping, I have multiple copies of files, mostly pdf's and mostly with differeing filenames. Now I want to sort it out looking for programs to deal with it.

So far I've heard of Araxis Find duplicate Files
Dupecheck
Tidy Up

No idea if any of them are any good. Any have experience of these programs ?

The Mercurian

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 17, 2012
ok I'v tried the trial version of the araxis program.

it works allright but crashed a few times. I'm not spending 12euro to maintain it so.

Still open to any other suggestions!

logicalways

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2012
i use a program called singlemizer from the app store. you can also get it from macupdate.com seems to do the trick for me fairly well.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Also looking for an app to identify duplicates ...I have multiple copies of files, mostly pdf's and mostly with differeing filenames.

Those don't sound like duplicates that a program could find, unless there's a program that can read pdfs and determine that two are identical. But, if there is even a slight difference in content, could such a program flag a file as a "duplicate"? I'm thinking that filenames that are the same would be the identifier. Of course, you could have a copy of a file in a different place that had a change made to it that the "original" file did not have made to it. Then you'd have the same filename for two files that are not truly duplicates. Sounds like a major headache to me. I'd be really interested in learning how the programs suggested work, just for the knowledge base; I've no reason to use one at this time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.