Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ibirmingham

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 30, 2012
http://m.engadget.com/2012/11/09/vmultra-all-in-one-peripheral/?icid=eng_latest_art

Is there anything better on the market?

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
Do you really need ODD and more USB's I'm buying a 6tb 2big hdd from LaCie. Apart from my Wacom tablets I think that will do me fine.

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
It was more about the added dvd player/burner than anything else.

That's what I meant with ODD, do you really need it? I think I've used mine maximum 10 times since I bought my 24" iMac in 2009. And it's probably 2 years since the last time. For me the ODD is completely useless and even if apple didn't change the form factor of the new iMac I would rather have them replacing the disc player space inside for better air ventilation.

StephenAndrew

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2009
Connecticut, USA
I use my ODD all the time. As a photographer, I often give my clients their images on DVDs. I give custom USB flash drives for weddings, but for portraits and other smaller jobs it's too pricey, so I burn and print my own DVDs with nice watershield discs and an Epson printer. They come out great, and it's nice to give my clients a physical, tangible medium (aside from their prints, of course). So when I get the new iMac, I'm definitely getting an external Blu Ray ODD. Aside from burning DVDs for clients, I can also back up raw files for an entire wedding on one disc and take it to my safe deposit box as an off-site backup solution. Yeah, I wish they included a Blu Ray ODD in the new iMac, but using an external isn't a deal breaker.

Ddyracer

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2009
That's what I meant with ODD, do you really need it? I think I've used mine maximum 10 times since I bought my 24" iMac in 2009. And it's probably 2 years since the last time. For me the ODD is completely useless and even if apple didn't change the form factor of the new iMac I would rather have them replacing the disc player space inside for better air ventilation.

I'm getting rather tired hearing people like you saying this. Just because you don't need it, doesn't mean he doesn't need it. He needs it. So do I. Quite badgering people on the ODD.

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
I'm getting rather tired hearing people like you saying this. Just because you don't need it, doesn't mean he doesn't need it. He needs it. So do I. Quite badgering people on the ODD.

I'm getting tired of those who don't understand you can actually get a ODD separately if you need it. If I need a ODD I wouldn't mind buying the apple usb ODD and take it out those times I would need it. Some people may need Firewire 800 too, so should apple keep sticking that into the iMac ? or DVI? etc...it reaches a point were less than 10% needs it, then it's time to deliver that as separate units for the few. Just because its not integrated doesn't mean your unable to get it

----------

I use my ODD all the time. As a photographer, I often give my clients their images on DVDs. I give custom USB flash drives for weddings, but for portraits and other smaller jobs it's too pricey, so I burn and print my own DVDs with nice watershield discs and an Epson printer. They come out great, and it's nice to give my clients a physical, tangible medium (aside from their prints, of course). So when I get the new iMac, I'm definitely getting an external Blu Ray ODD. Aside from burning DVDs for clients, I can also back up raw files for an entire wedding on one disc and take it to my safe deposit box as an off-site backup solution. Yeah, I wish they included a Blu Ray ODD in the new iMac, but using an external isn't a deal breaker.

I think the time when people want to get a cd is about to diminish as well. Give them a link through some file sharing service, I would guess more and more people would prefer that. When I was on a holiday this summer and dived, the images got delivered to my email through a file sharing service. That's perfect imo, then I don't need to get that stupid disc.

Time to evolve ;)

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
That takes away the point on having an all-in-one desktop computer.

well if you mean all-in-one should be cramping in all kind of old stuff to a machine to support everything everyone needs, you are right. Personally I think if you asked everyone that is buying the new imac if they would prefer the new design OR old design with ODD I think 95% will choose the new design. Personally I'm very happy to replace the ODD for a nicer and slimmer iMac.

Siderz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2012
well if you mean all-in-one should be cramping in all kind of old stuff to a machine to support everything everyone needs, you are right. Personally I think if you asked everyone that is buying the new imac if they would prefer the new design OR old design with ODD I think 95% will choose the new design. Personally I'm very happy to replace the ODD for a nicer and slimmer iMac.

Actually a lot of people would probably prefer the old design and higher specs.

Idgaf about the thinner design, it looks no different from the front. I just want higher specs.

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009

Idgaf about the thinner design, it looks no different from the front. I just want higher specs.

higher specs is a different thing than ODD. Sure if I could get desktop class hardware in it I would prefer the old design too. But that's a completely different route than apple has ever gone with the iMac, so we all know that's not gonna happen. And, if anyone expect that I think they will always get disappointed.

Siderz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2012
higher specs is a different thing than ODD. Sure if I could get desktop class hardware in it I would prefer the old design too. But that's a completely different route than apple has ever gone with the iMac, so we all know that's not gonna happen. And, if anyone expect that I think they will always get disappointed.

A Blu-ray drive would count as a higher specification.

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
A Blu-ray drive would count as a higher specification.

Yes but blu ray is all ready outdated. As Phil Schiller said, customers aren't asking for blu ray anymore. And I agree I would not want a blu ray player in my machine if it came for free, I would never use it. A blu ray player to watch movies maybe, but in a computer is rather pointless IMO. So if Mac mini would get blu ray it would be cool, since a lot of people use that as a media center... But that's never gonna happen either :) world is going cloud.

eternalife

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2011

+1 - I would MUCH prefer the old design with upgraded hardware and the ability to add ram and storage (21.5" of course).

Occamsrazr

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2012
I would prefer a Romney administration, but sometimes we have to bow to progress and accept the fact that things change.

StephenAndrew

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2009
Connecticut, USA
I think the time when people want to get a cd is about to diminish as well. Give them a link through some file sharing service, I would guess more and more people would prefer that. When I was on a holiday this summer and dived, the images got delivered to my email through a file sharing service. That's perfect imo, then I don't need to get that stupid disc.

Time to evolve ;)

I actually do that too, along with giving them a disc. It seems most people though, ie, not us geeks on MR ;) still expect/want a disc...I think there's a psychological effect about getting a tangible item when you spend a lot of money on portraits that adds a perceived value of the purchase (which is why I try to sell prints as often as possible too). Hopefully when it's time to buy another computer in a few years people won't expect a disc anymore, because I admit they're infinitely more time consuming and expensive than a simple download link.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.