Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In yet another sign that Apple's iPhone 5 stocks are returning to normal, Apple has lifted its limit of two iPhone 5's per customer. The top boilerplate in this image is from last week when Apple began selling the GSM iPhone 5 unlocked in the U.S., and the lower boilerplate is from today.

twopercustomer.jpeg
In recent days, we've seen ship times for some countries drop as low as 2-4 business days. Additionally, an Apple Retail source tells us that the prior restrictions on retail iPhone 5 purchases -- two per transaction and a ten-phone lifetime limit -- have been changed to ten phones per transaction and no lifetime limit.

While normal customers are unlikely to need to purchase ten iPhones per transaction, the limits are likely aimed at the well-documented reseller phenomenon where entrepreneurs purchase Apple products in bulk and ship them to countries where those products are not yet for sale.

Since many of these devices are purchased for resale in China, it's possible that Apple's launch of the iPhone 5, iPad mini and 4th-generation iPad in that country later this month could lessen reseller demand.

The iPad mini retains its two-per-customer limit, however. Attempting to purchase more than two on the Apple Online Store displays the following notice:
A maximum of 2 iPad can be purchased per customer. Please adjust the total quantity of iPad in your order before checking out.

Article Link: Apple Lifts Two-Per-Customer Order Limit on iPhone 5

M-O

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
Looks like Apple is no longer worried about the Chinese greymarket.

this is probably the exact reason. why pay double on the grey market what you can get for retail price at your nearest unicom dealer or apple store.

somethingelsefl

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2008
Tampa, FL
Wow. Apparently, Apple doesn't need a changelog for their website...the MR community does one heck of a good job at monitoring every single change. It's impressive. (not being sarcastic)

propalitet

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2011
Also, they finally clarified which model it is. It's the AT&T model (not the A1429 GSM model).

juniorsgv

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2010
phoenix, az
iphone 5

well now its little too late for apple.

there were deals for s3's for .96 on black friday or $50. i used to be a pretty big apple/iphone fan, but every season its handled poorly.

that said i was able to get a launch day iphone 5 by stayin up late and pre orderin for the moms.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
I had an Apple Store employee tell me that supplies of the iPhone 5 and mini iPad were getting close to normal. He said that the recent shakeup in upper management had to do with supply problems. Fact or fiction?

BigPrince

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2006
Something can't "return to normal" if it was never at normal to begin with. Poor writing.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
I had an Apple Store employee tell me that supplies of the iPhone 5 and mini iPad were getting close to normal. He said that the recent shakeup in upper management had to do with supply problems. Fact or fiction?

If that was in fact the case, it shows that 'Timmy' has a pretty good handle on the pulse of the business. Good for him, the shareholders, and good for all those, impatient to buy APPLE products.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005

Fiction. They can't possibly know that and I call it pure coincidence.

juniorsgv

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2010
phoenix, az
I got an iPhone 5 yesterday at Best Buy. It appeared they had a decent stock of them.

i noticed this as well... i wonder how many people went Android instead of waiting around for iPhone 5 to come into stock. 4-5 week wait seemed rather ridiculous. now that we know Apple may shorten life cycles on telephones given the ipad releases.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Fiction. They can't possibly know that and I call it pure coincidence.

That's what I'm thinking too. It seems hard to believe that you change a couple of management positions and 2 weeks later supply problems are fixed.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia

Supply channel issues and management shakeup? Maybe, if so then this is not good for the consumer if shoddy product is entering the channel.

Will say that for the last week the iPhone 5 seems to be available at the Tysons store in white and black in 16 and 32gb versions. And as of last night the iPad mini was available in most if not all wifi and ATT versions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.