Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

itsjustmeee

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2008
From what I understand, applecare doesn't "reset" itself with a defective iPhone 5 that needs to be replaced but what about a Macbook Air? In my case, I had a mid '11 that I purchased in march. It needed to be replaced a couple of months later and they gave me a mid '12 model. Did the warranty reset itself with the newer model? It seems to me like it should since it's actually a totally different computer.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
From what I understand, applecare doesn't "reset" itself with a defective iPhone 5 that needs to be replaced but what about a Macbook Air? In my case, I had a mid '11 that I purchased in march. It needed to be replaced a couple of months later and they gave me a mid '12 model. Did the warranty reset itself with the newer model? It seems to me like it should since it's actually a totally different computer.
No, your AppleCare agreement is still limited to 3 years from the date of purchase of your original MBA. It doesn't start over with a replacement. You can check your remaining warranty and/or AppleCare coverage here

itsjustmeee

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2008
No, your AppleCare agreement is still limited to 3 years from the date of purchase of your original MBA. It doesn't start over with a replacement. You can check your remaining warranty and/or AppleCare coverage here

Oddly enough, I just checked. Both Airs show up. The original shows a June 5th expiration date and my mid '12 replacement with an "estimated expiration date: august 1, 2013" so somehow it looks like it did start over. Interesting.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Oddly enough, I just checked. Both Airs show up. The original shows a June 5th expiration date and my mid '12 replacement with an "estimated expiration date: august 1, 2013" so somehow it looks like it did start over. Interesting.
It didn't start over. If it had, your expiration date would be 3 years from the replacement date.

itsjustmeee

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2008
It didn't start over. If it had, your expiration date would be 3 years from the replacement date.

I don't have Applecare, just the 1 year warranty. If it didn't start over, why is the projected expiration date sept 1, 2013 for the replacement when I bought the original one on june 5th?

Johnny Alien

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2012
I don't have Applecare, just the 1 year warranty. If it didn't start over, why is the projected expiration date sept 1, 2013 for the replacement when I bought the original one on june 5th?

The standard warranty will be a year from purchase. In this case of the second laptop you will get a full year warranty from the day you got it. Applecare is an extended warranty though and it will not reset for a new computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.