Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

View Poll Results: How many spaces do you put after a period (full stop)?
One 32 59.26%
Two 22 40.74%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old Feb 5, 2013, 03:41 PM   #26
chown33
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica. View Post
4? Dude where?
It just ends up that way sometimes. I write mostly in plain text, or in a programming language. Sometimes smart-paste will add a space, while plain-paste won't. So sometimes I do "space cmd-V", others "cmd-V" space", or "space cmd-V" space". And sometimes I just fat-thumb the spacebar.

As I said, I don't worry about it much. When I do care, search-and-replace is ready and waiting. And if I bungle search-and-replace, undo is ready for that.
chown33 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 03:43 PM   #27
Rob.G
macrumors 6502

I took a year-long typing/business class in high school and we were taught to use two spaces. Here in forums and stuff, though, browsers won't render multiple consecutive spaces unless you use the "nbsp" tag (which starts with & and ends with ; rather than quotes).

Rob
Rob.G is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 03:48 PM   #28
SkyBell
macrumors 603

I don't believe I've ever heard of using two spaces, but I can see the advantage to doing so. Always have used one, doubt that'll ever change.
Blueberry iBook G3, Apple IIc
SkyBell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 04:16 PM   #29

I always do two spaces. I don't recall when or how I learned this/ got in the habit but I do remember a classmate in undergrad getting reprimanded by the professor for only doing one space in a paper.
184550 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 04:26 PM   #30
pivo6
macrumors 68000

After reading one of the front page articles, I'm replacing all periods with commas. When I do need to end a sentence, I use 1 space after a period. I also wear reading glasses.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 05:27 PM   #31
snberk103
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nermal View Post
Is that in case the full stop and following capital letter aren't obvious enough?
Sometimes the names of modern things make it difficult. iPhones are one example. iMacs are another example. Hee Hee
Old Feb 5, 2013, 05:36 PM   #32
eawmp1
macrumors 601

I was (on these old fashioned typewriter things) 2 spaces. Mocked by my kids so I begrudgingly gave up one of them.
eawmp1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 06:16 PM   #33
Scepticalscribe
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by eawmp1 View Post
I was (on these old fashioned typewriter things) 2 spaces. Mocked by my kids so I begrudgingly gave up one of them.
Ah, but what do kids know about grammar, spacing, syntax and stuff such as how to write English correctly?

I'll happily heed what kids have to say about topics such as technology, I may even incline my head - briefly - a token nod towards what they think about arcane matters such as fashion, but the day I take lessons from kids on how to write English has yet to come.
Scepticalscribe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 06:27 PM   #34
eawmp1
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scepticalscribe View Post
Ah, but what do kids know about grammar, spacing, syntax and stuff such as how to write English correctly?

I'll happily heed what kids have to say about topics such as technology, I may even incline my head - briefly - a token nod towards what they think about arcane matters such as fashion, but the day I take lessons from kids on how to write English has yet to come.
Did you pay attention to the (poor) pronoun reference? I gave up a kid for his insolence.
eawmp1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 06:44 PM   #35
Scepticalscribe
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by eawmp1 View Post
Did you pay attention to the (poor) pronoun reference? I gave up a kid for his insolence.
I did. (But he's your kid, and possessive pronouns trump other considerations in a discussion of this sort).

However, methinks that a feel for syntax, along with the sort of palate that can learn to appreciate good red wine, coffee, and cognac are the sort of acquired tastes that a lack of age and experience will long deny the very young.
Scepticalscribe is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 06:46 PM   #36
wrosie
macrumors member

'twas two spaces after a period at the end of a sentence back in the days of typewriters and Courier type. However, now that we have word processors and proportional type, one space is fine.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 07:07 PM   #37
LotusLord
macrumors regular

One space. I never took a typing class on a typewriter. My wife however says that when she was taught on a computer (she's a year younger than I am, and went to school in a more wealthy school district), to do two spaces.
LotusLord is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 07:09 PM   #38
zioxide
macrumors 603

Well, in the writing courses I took in college, which was only a few years ago, they still taught 2 spaces between sentences. So, for formal documents, 2 spaces.

On the internet (forums and social networks) I usually only use one though. Sometimes two just because it's kind of a habit while typing now, though most websites will only render one space in HTML anyways.
zioxide is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 09:46 AM   #39
mobilehaathi
macrumors 601

Two spaces. Anything else is uncivilized.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 09:50 AM   #40
Mr. McMac
macrumors 68020

one space for one space cadet
Old Feb 6, 2013, 09:53 AM   #41
r.j.s
Moderator emeritus

AP Style says one to save space, so that's what I use.
r.j.s is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 09:54 AM   #42
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Look who is back.
GoCubsGo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 09:56 AM   #43
r.j.s
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica. View Post
Look who is back.
Who?

Old Feb 6, 2013, 09:59 AM   #44
Vader
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to Vader
I always use two. I find myself going back through text messages and deleting that second space to squeeze in a few more characters at the end.

Edit: Looks like the forum software automatically trims them down to one space, how rude!
(It shows up as two spaces in the edit though, so my original 2 space content was preserved, it must just change it when it is displayed)
Vader is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 10:02 AM   #45
r.j.s
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vader View Post
I always use two. I find myself going back through text messages and deleting that second space to squeeze in a few more characters at the end.

Edit: Looks like the forum software automatically trims them down to one space, how rude!
(It shows up as two spaces in the edit though, so my original 2 space content was preserved, it must just change it when it is displayed)
Maybe you should just start using one ...
Old Feb 6, 2013, 10:39 AM   #46
LV426
macrumors 6502

Typing two spaces on the web won't get you very far, because browsers typically render multiple spaces as a single space. Unless you go to some effort.

FYI, screenplays should always be submitted using double spaces after a full stop, for traditional reasons.
LV426 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion