Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pank

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2005
I would greatly appreciate any input regarding this. Here is my setup....
1. I have 3 Macs (1 Macbook Pro, and 2 iMacs).
2. I just bought a 2TB time capsule and have it all set up as a router (all computers are using the router wirelessly).
3. I want to have all of the computers use the same iPhoto DB / library. That way when a picture is added to one computer it is basically added to all.
4. I have an external drive that I plugged in via USB to the time capsule. I then copied the iPhoto DB to that external drive.

Here is my main question.... Since that iPhoto DB on the external drive is hooked into the time capsule is it actually being backed up to the time capsule? God forbid I have that external HD die, and don't have a back up.

Basically I'd like to use the shared iPhoto DB / but also have it backed up to my time capsule. When I view the TC drive I only see the 3 computers sparsebundle images but no iPhoto DB backup.

Is there a way to automatically back that up? Am I missing something?
Thank you all in advance :)

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
No, Time Machine is not going to backup that external drive. Carbon Copy Cloner can be used to copy networked/shared drives. You should be able to make a folder on the Time Capsule drive and use CCC to periodically copy the library from the external disk to the TC disk.

pank

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2005
No, Time Machine is not going to backup that external drive. Carbon Copy Cloner can be used to copy networked/shared drives. You should be able to make a folder on the Time Capsule drive and use CCC to periodically copy the library from the external disk to the TC disk.

Thanks! I have SuperDuper so I'll check out that option. Thank you again.

pank

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2005
Looks like superduper won't do a network backup, but like you said it looks good so far using Carbon Copy Cloner. Thanks, I'll post back and say how it worked out.

pank

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2005
Well it looks like CCC works better than SuperDuper. I'm a bit disappointed since I've been using SuperDuper for years. I thank you for your help, it's appreciated. I made a folder on my TC drive / chose to backup the external iLife drive to TC and it appears to have worked perfectly.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-11-13 at 7.21.37 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-11-13 at 7.21.37 PM.png
    35.3 KB · Views: 70
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.