Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Dec 29, 2011, 10:01 AM   #1
AFPoster
macrumors 65816

iPhone 4S Call Recording?

I've been researching posts in the forums but nothing is recent (2010 last post) nor recent by device (iPhone 3Gs being most recent).

Is their anyway to record a phone conversation on an iPhone 4 / 4S? Right now I use an iPod with a Belkin attachment to record presentations, seminars and meetings that I am on. I don't want to carry an additional device to my meetings or lay something else down while I'm on a call. So is their any way for me to just use my iPhone 4S to record a call / meetings?

I'm not doing this illegally so please don't harp on this, all Customer Service calls are to be recorded and all Presentations, Meetings, Seminar's, etc are to be as well for training purposes. I just have no desire to spend thousands on a device for my office since I travel 90% of the time and all I carry is my phone, macbook pro and a travel bag.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
AFPoster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2011, 10:32 AM   #2
Eager Beaver
Banned

U can put the call on speaker, and then use "voice memo" to record -
Eager Beaver is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2011, 10:45 AM   #3
AFPoster
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eager Beaver View Post
U can put the call on speaker, and then use "voice memo" to record -
I got an error message "Voice Recording disabled to record, end call".
Old Dec 29, 2011, 10:52 AM   #4
Eager Beaver
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFPoster View Post
I got an error message "Voice Recording disabled to record, end call".
Sorry about that, it was only a suggestion.
Maybe the lask of replies means you can't do it without an additional device?
Old Dec 29, 2011, 11:05 AM   #5
SporkLover
macrumors 6502

Quote:
I've been researching posts in the forums but nothing is recent (2010 last post) nor recent by device (iPhone 3Gs being most recent).

Is their anyway to record a phone conversation on an iPhone 4 / 4S? Right now I use an iPod with a Belkin attachment to record presentations, seminars and meetings that I am on. I don't want to carry an additional device to my meetings or lay something else down while I'm on a call. So is their any way for me to just use my iPhone 4S to record a call / meetings?

I'm not doing this illegally so please don't harp on this, all Customer Service calls are to be recorded and all Presentations, Meetings, Seminar's, etc are to be as well for training purposes. I just have no desire to spend thousands on a device for my office since I travel 90% of the time and all I carry is my phone, macbook pro and a travel bag.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Gogle voice will you record incoming calls. Not sure what will let you record outgoing calls
SporkLover is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2011, 11:13 AM   #6
apollo1444
macrumors 65816

maybe a jailbreak app
apollo1444 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2011, 11:17 AM   #7
AFPoster
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by SporkLover View Post
Gogle voice will you record incoming calls. Not sure what will let you record outgoing calls
How do you setup Google Voice without getting a different phone number? Last I tried it had me setup an account, provide a number and then I got a different number that I'm supposed to use and then it said I had fee's to pay on top of my regular AT&T bill. Any advice on setting it up correctly? Googling right now as well.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 01:45 PM   #8
Arnezie
macrumors 65816

The law in most states says that one party that is being recorded has to know that the line is being recorded. Meaning I can record my calls I just can't tap your phone and record party a and party b is I'm not on the call. Just wanted to clear that up.
Arnezie is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2011, 01:49 PM   #9
SporkLover
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnezie View Post
The law in most states says that one party that is being recorded has to know that the line is being recorded. Meaning I can record my calls I just can't tap your phone and record party a and party b is I'm not on the call. Just wanted to clear that up.
.....what ?
SporkLover is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2011, 02:08 PM   #10
Eager Beaver
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SporkLover View Post
.....what ?

^^^ What He Said ^^^
Old Dec 29, 2011, 02:38 PM   #11
sweetbrat
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eager Beaver View Post
^^^ What He Said ^^^
He's clarifying that it's ok for the OP to record the call...which I think we already knew.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 02:52 PM   #12
AFPoster
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbrat View Post
He's clarifying that it's ok for the OP to record the call...which I think we already knew.
Which I already said didn't need to be discussed since I knew this. There's always one I guess.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 03:29 PM   #13
mkrishnan
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
How do you setup Google Voice without getting a different phone number? Last I tried it had me setup an account, provide a number and then I got a different number that I'm supposed to use and then it said I had fee's to pay on top of my regular AT&T bill. Any advice on setting it up correctly? Googling right now as well.
GV is free to use as far as having a phone number, and making and receiving domestic calls and SMS. You only have to pay if you want to make international calls. Here are details on voice recording with it:

http://gadgetwise.blogs.nytimes.com/...-google-voice/

AFAIK you will have to jailbreak to record calls incognito / without the call being routed through GV or some other VOIP type of service.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 04:48 PM   #14
harryhill
macrumors newbie

Quote:
I have a google number. Have to sign up. Record ONLY incoming calls.Press 4.
harryhill is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2012, 06:06 PM   #15
Idefix
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnezie View Post
True but misleading, since 12 states require that all parties consent.

"Under United States federal law and most state laws there is nothing illegal about one of the parties to a telephone call recording the conversation, or giving permission for calls to be recorded or permitting their telephone line to be tapped. However, several states (e.g., California, Connecticut, Florida, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania, Oregon and Washington) require that all parties consent when one party wants to record a telephone conversation. Many businesses and other organizations record their telephone calls so that they can prove what was said, train their staff, or monitor performance. This activity may not be considered telephone tapping in some, but not all, jurisdictions because it is done with the knowledge of at least one of the parties to the telephone conversation. The Telephone recording laws in some U.S. states require only one party to be aware of the recording, while other states require both parties to be aware. It is considered better practice to announce at the beginning of a call that the conversation is being recorded."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telepho...#United_States

That's a sizable number of folks...
Idefix is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 03:13 AM   #16
billuptracyo
macrumors newbie

The law in most states says that one party that is being recorded has to know that the line is being recorded.
billuptracyo is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone