Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook

Old Jan 1, 2013, 01:57 AM   #1
peglegjack
macrumors regular

Mid 07 Macbook Keyboard Replacement

So I actually went to replace my optical drive tonight, and that looks to have gone smoothly. As far as the keyboard, I cannot, CANNOT get it back on to save my life. My heart sinks every time I think I get it to work only to be discouraged when the left side pops out when I try to close it. It holds fairly well on the right side where the optical drive is (I suppose because of those four little plastic bits that are lodged there) but it doesn't hold at all on the left. As far as I know there aren't any plastic pieces that fall out on that side. I really don't know what to do at this point because I feel like I've tried everything.

Does anyone have any experience with replacing Macbook keyboards, and if you do could you tell me what I could possibly be doing wrong?
peglegjack is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 05:32 PM   #2
logana
macrumors 65816

Normally the best way is to make sure that left hand corner is located properly - there are 2 lugs on the lefthand side that go into the battery bay area. Make sure those slide in properly first. The push down on the left hand side working toward the left top corner. Then do the right hand side. Then finally the right hand edge (above the sleep led).

The 2 lugs often get bent when you remove the keyboard so check that they are at right angles to the top surface and bend them slightly to get them back to the right angle.

Hope this helps !
Old Jan 2, 2013, 09:56 AM   #3
Brian Y
macrumors 68000

Easiest way is to make sure the little metal clips haven't bent on the way out (use pliers to make sure they're vertical).

Then put in the 3 long screws in the bottom. This will hold the top case down while you put the 18 or so screws in around the edge :P
Brian Y is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook