Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Screen-Shot-2013-03-26-at-6.26.38-PM.png
Flipboard today upgraded its app to version 2.0, adding a Pinterest Pinboard-like "Magazine" feature, search, notifications, Etsy integration and more.

In an interview with Mashable, Flipboard CTO Eric Feng said that the update was "the most ambitious thing the company has ever done." Previously, Flipboard allowed users to subscribe to certain news and social media feeds and acted as a beautiful RSS reader. With the new Magazine feature, users can collect content, organize it into their own feeds, and share it with the rest of the Flipboard user base.

flipboard2.png
The company also added notifications so that users can see when their friends like, comment or share their magazines. Flipboard has also integrated products and product descriptions from handmade goods e-retailer Etsy, allowing users to buy products directly from the app.
What's New in Version 2.0
- You can now collect and save content into your own magazines, tap the new "+" button to get started.
- Your magazines are public, but can be made private (viewable only to you).
- Use the new bookmarklet to add items to your magazines from your browser.
- Get Flipboard notifications when people like, comment or subscribe to your magazines.
- Easily email or share magazines to Facebook, Twitter, G+, etc
- Search is now front and center on your Flipboard, with new improved results.
- Faster page-loading and faster flipping performance.
- Personalized recommendations for more to add to your Flipboard.
Flipboard can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Flipboard Updated with 'Magazines', Notifications, Etsy Integration and More

tekboi

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
EasŦcoast
I'm downloading this now and just realized that my google reader will no longer work :-(

Well, i'll see how much use I can get out of this app now.

Awfisch

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2011
One of the best iOS apps

Flipboard is one of the best apps out there! Rarely crashes, excellent UI, great support, and easy to use.

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
Looks lovely on my friend's ipad, tried it out on my iphone, opened it once and never again. Any of you regularly use Flipboard on iPhone?

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
I use flipboard on a daily basis. First thing I open in the morning and last thing at night.

Have it on my iPhone and iPad.

tekboi

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
EasŦcoast
Looks lovely on my friend's ipad, tried it out on my iphone, opened it once and never again. Any of you regularly use Flipboard on iPhone?

Flipboard is almost worthless on the iphone IMO. You need real screen real estate to use apps like flipboard and really get the full experience.

Nemic

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2012
This is an amazing update.

Flipboard is the only app that I use every single day without fail.

I have it on both my iPad 3 and iPhone 5. The large fonts and layout make it a joy to read even on the smaller iPhone screen - I hardly use Safari now :)

Now you can create your own pages in Flipboard, I can't wait :)

thefourthpope

Contributor
Sep 8, 2007
DelMarVa
Love this app; use it all the time. Can't wait to play with the new features, though I don't think I'll be going the Flipfriends route. Facebook and Twitter integration are plenty for me.

stol

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2011
Greece
I use Flipboard on my iPad 1 every day, and it's one of those apps that always amazed me with its speed, responsiveness and stability on what proved to be an underpowered device. I'll backup the previous version, update and see how it how version 2.0 stands.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
I have been using Fluent, but based on the comments here will download and try this out.

Update: Downloaded and liking it very much. I can see this will become a highly used app on my ipad.

Last edited:

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
these new features almost seem like a Pinterest / pinning concept to save articles for later. I used to use Flipboard daily but then got into Twitter and read a lot through there instead now.

But will try out Flipboard again.

GIZBUG

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2006
Chicago, IL
So my question is, you make a magazine with links to stories. Are those stories ever updated on the magazine? Or do you just have the story there only?

I figure after I read a story,might not read it again, not sure if the magazine will update itself with new content or not?

bchery21

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2009
Boston, MA
Flipboard is one of the best apps out there! Rarely crashes, excellent UI, great support, and easy to use.

I second that; I use Flipboard everyday, multiple times.

----------

I use it on my iPhone all the time. I started using it on the phone before I ever used it on an iPad so I was use to the smaller real estate. I use it on my phone so much that when I first used it on the iPad I kept flicking up and down rather than left and right. If you're coming from an iPad I can see how you might not like the app so much on a phone...

Alith

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2008
London, UK.
I tried to get into Flipboard but couldn't. It just seemed seemed all over the place compared to the wealth of visible, accessible info you get from Pulse.

Am I missing something? Maybe I just haven't used it for long enough. What does Flipboard do that Pulse doesn't already do with a better UI?

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
I tried to get into Flipboard but couldn't. It just seemed seemed all over the place compared to the wealth of visible, accessible info you get from Pulse.

Am I missing something? Maybe I just haven't used it for long enough. What does Flipboard do that Pulse doesn't already do with a better UI?

they are about the same

flipboard seems to have a way to subscribe to more sources

gloryunited

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2010
Have been using and loving Flipboard.

But the new UI looks "flatter" and I'm afraid I prefer the old one. The new features are nice though.

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
I prefer Zite to FB, Flipboard content is usually outdated whereas Zite has tons of content from lots of sources.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.