Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

** ReX **

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2013
India
Hi Everyone Thank You For Your Time.

By accident i recently updated my IPHONE 3GS with 6.1.3 IOS firmware, Now i wanna downgrade the IOS firmware to 4.1 (i know apple is still signing this).

The issue is i jailbroke my IPHONE 3gs with redsn0w 15 (tethered) now it is stuck in DFU loop. When i try to restore the firmware it gives me error 25. I recently EMI unlocked the phone. Inorder for the phone to unlock i have to downgrade my BB from 06.15.00 to 05.13.04.

Can anyone suggest me a way to do this ? Because i am using a tethered jailbreak i can't use redsn0w to downgrade ipad baseband which i was using to unlock the phone using ultrasn0w:mad::mad::mad:.

Last edited:

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
First of all I recommend you slow down and do some research before rushing into changing your newly acquired toy.

Go here, read this --> http://blog.iphone-dev.org/post/26534086824/baseband-freedom

iClarified.com has a tutorial to reflash the baseband, then downgrade it to 5.13.xx.

iPhones can be unlocked via IMEI number.
And as far as I know, having the iPad baseband will not stop an IMEI unlock from working, although it makes firmware changes a headache.

If, and I say if, your phone is really IMEI unlocked and you were not scammed with a software unlock (which was killed by updating to 6.1.3) then firmware or baseband is irrelevant to the IMEI unlock working.
I suspect that based on what you wrote, you might have gotten scammed.

You can check a IMEI unlock here --> http://www.swiftunlocks.net/iphone_widget/iphone.php

** ReX **

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2013
India
Thank You For the reply. Reflashing is not working.. neither my phone is booting... it is now stuck in DFU mode loop and i can't even get the phone switched on even when i try just boot. Did i brick my phone ?

TeachMeiOS.com

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2012
Download iOS 6.0 and use Redsn0w to downgrade baseband

I just had this issue on an iPhone 3gs. First of all, to get it out of the DFU mode loop, have you tried to hold down the on/off button and the home button for 5-7 seconds? This should just restart the phone for you.

I had upgraded to iOS 6.1.3 and couldn't activate the phone because it had the iPad baseband on it. I used Redsn0w 0.9.15b3 and the ipsw of iOS 6.0. Then, I put my device in DFU mode and deselected Install Cydia leaving only the Downgrade iPad Baseband box checked. This worked for me and now my device is running iOS 6.1.3 with baseband 5.16.08 which allows me to use the factory unlock. I now have a t-mobile sim card in it. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

** ReX **

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2013
India
I just had this issue on an iPhone 3gs. I had upgraded to iOS 6.1.3 and couldn't activate the phone because it had the iPad baseband on it. I used Redsn0w 0.9.15b3 and the ipsw of iOS 6.0. Then, I put my device in DFU mode and deselected Install Cydia leaving only the Downgrade iPad Baseband box checked. This worked for me and now my device is running iOS 6.1.3 with baseband 5.13.04 which allows me to use the factory unlock. Hope this helps.

When i try the same process as your doing my phone is showing blured yellow lines with black background. Not even able to restore to 6.1.3 getting multiple errors from itunes error 28 error 3169 or so. Redsn0w made my phone go into a DFU mode loop, and now i want to get out of that loop nothing seem to work. I am not able to even see the apple logo tooo, frustrated to the core..

----------

I tried holding Power + Home button, nothing is happening just a black screen. Reds0w is showing that phone is connected in DFU mode, New BR.

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
When i try the same process as your doing my phone is showing blured yellow lines with black background. Not even able to restore to 6.1.3 getting multiple errors from itunes error 28 error 3169 or so. Redsn0w made my phone go into a DFU mode loop, and now i want to get out of that loop nothing seem to work. I am not able to even see the apple logo tooo, frustrated to the core..

----------

I tried holding Power + Home button, nothing is happening just a black screen. Reds0w is showing that phone is connected in DFU mode, New BR.

I'm not sure if this is helpful but can tinyumbrella kick your device out of recovery mode?

** ReX **

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2013
India
Nope Tinyumberella is unable to kick out the device from DFU mode.

----------

When i click JUSTBOOT using IPSW 6.0 instead of apple logo it is showing me white screen and going into blurred yellow lines screen

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
Download the 4.1 IPSW to the desktop
Make sure host file points to Apple
Use Redsn0w to make No BB IPSW by pointing it at stock 4.1 IPSW you downloaded.
If the phone is in DFU mode. plugging it into iTunes should give the option to restore.
If it is in recovery mode and iTunes doesn't see it, try Redsn0w fix recovery.
If iTunes sees the phone, navigate to your No BB IPSW using iTunes.

TheRainKing

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2012

----------

Some guy on another forum was also getting a black screen with yellow lines, and he also got stuck in a DFU loop. Apparently the problem is caused by the NAND memory getting corrupted which locks the phone in DFU mode and gives you error 28 when you try to restore. His problem was solved by letting the battery fully drain and then attempting a restore.

This was the post that helped him fix his problem.

The OPs problem was caused by using an old bootrom firmware on a new bootrom device. He was correct with his research. In this instance error 28 is not hardware related but related to the NAND memory being corrupted by the mistake.
This causes the phone to always appear in DFU mode. The fix is (as he found out) letting the battery drain completely. This resets the NAND memory so after that a restore should work for him.

Dunno how relevant this is to your issue, but it might work.

Last edited:

** ReX **

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2013
India
Thank You Guys for trying to help. I got frustrated and went to MObile store and got it fixed apprantely it is stuck in the loop and i had to disconnect the battery and reconect it inorder for it to work.

Now my Phone is back to 4.1 with baseband 06.15.00 downgraded the baseband to 05.13.04 used ultras0w and everything is working fine.

Now i am trying to install IOS 6.0 and will see how it goes :)

guddi360

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2013
Same Problem

"Rex" I'm having the same problem. Can you write me a step by step of what you've done?

novice121

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2013
"Rex" I'm having the same problem. Can you write me a step by step of what you've done?

If none of the "easy" fixes to get out of a loop work (iRecovery, Tinyumbrella, iReb, holding home+power for a while, etc...), then you can do a hard reset by disassembling the device in order to disconnect the battery from the motherboard for a while.

It's not hard to do, but there are many poorly shown tutorials on Youtube. Follow this one, the only "hard" part is at 1:20 really, just be carefull breaking a few connections behind the upper part of the LCD.

Code:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-q14K0kP9I

After removing the motherboard. you don't really have to remove the battery underneath, it's usually glued onto the back cover plate. You just have to keep the motherboard disconnected from the battery for one hour, and re-assemble everything back again.

I did it by myself when every software fix out there failed, and was the only working solution for me. Don't pay some shop to do this for you, it's not really hard to do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.