Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iansilv

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 2, 2007
This:

You can already tell iTunes to store it's actual media anywhere (internally or externally). So you could have iTunes detect the presence of this concept as a new device in the home and offer to transfer the whole library to it. After that, it simply accesses media from it transparently.

We can do what the OP is asking for now for the most part. We can buy external or network storage and store our media on it. We can have iTunes look to that external storage for it's media.

What the OP is actually looking for though is- essentially- a "cut the cord" dependency on some computer running iTunes separately from this central store. Instead, this device would be the media hub (all computers could be turned off) and devices like :apple:TV could see it and access the media directly. There's many benefits to this idea and it's been dreamed about for a very long time. Why Apple won't develop it is a mystery. I agree in thinking it would sell well.

To get close to it now involves buying some big storage and a dedicated computer that can run iTunes. Store them wherever this dream device might be stored and let them be the central hub for all household media. :apple:TV's can connect to that. Computers and iDevices around the house can connect to that too. It's not as "pretty" as what an Apple device would likely be but it would cover most of this base.

Relative to just :apple:TV itself, the first generation had some local storage. With a hack, external storage up to at least 2TB could be attached so that large collections of media could be stored on board. For the :apple:TV experience (all computers off), this was close to the target desired here. Each :apple:TV since has included a USB port which could have at least offered the OPTION of individuals attaching local storage of whatever size they desire and storing on-demand media there for their :apple:TV but Apple doesn't seem to want to include that option. While not as good as what is being dreamed up in this (and many prior) threads, that 1st gen utility lost in subsequent generations was very nice for :apple:TV users.

----------

This too:

That should simply be a configurable feature of any TimeCapsule.

----------

This guys is also on to something:

It's $600 and not designed for the purpose. This doesn't need a powerful CPU and graphics. While the mini is very power conservative it uses more than a NAS would.

What this needs is a NAS designed case that will accept ~4 HD's. A couple thunderbolt ports to add more. No monitor should be needed. All configuration is done via an app or via a browser on your network.

Essentially Windows Home Server done right by Apple. WHS actually did pretty darn well until Microsoft nerfed the best features of it with the rebuild.

I really believe there is a decent sized market for this. The key is making it at the right price and marketing well. One thing that Apple does better than anyone else is making the whole ecosystem work together.

Regardless I don't think it'll happen as Apple would rather you just buy eveything from iTunes.

----------

And what I want Apple to do is the iTunes equivalent of this:

http://www.kaleidescape.com

The whole "stream from the cloud" concept is not practical for serious media consumption for the obvious reasons of stream stuttering or connection problems.

carr1on

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2011
Ios 7

I really think that IOS 7 is going to meet the requirements of a lot of people. Simply carry your MacBook Air into the room with an ATV-attached TV, and attach the TV as a second monitor. Once you've done that, you can use your favorite movie player to watch any movie you want.

I know that some players are AirPlay enabled today, which is cool. But once IOS 7 comes out, all apps will be able to be displayed on your TV.

iansilv

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 2, 2007
I really think that IOS 7 is going to meet the requirements of a lot of people. Simply carry your MacBook Air into the room with an ATV-attached TV, and attach the TV as a second monitor. Once you've done that, you can use your favorite movie player to watch any movie you want.

I know that some players are AirPlay enabled today, which is cool. But once IOS 7 comes out, all apps will be able to be displayed on your TV.

I agree- i just want to eliminate the carry your air part.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
Why is this about IOS 7. Are we talking about MAC OS 10.9 Maverick for the ATV second screen?

It took me a while to figure it out. What he is saying is that an iOS 7 device will be able to AirPlay to an ATV and that would meet some/most of the demand for an iOS based server as posed by the OP. The post has nothing to do with Mavericks. You've been the only person to mention "Mavericks" in this thread.

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
It took me a while to figure it out. What he is saying is that an iOS 7 device will be able to AirPlay to an ATV and that would meet some/most of the demand for an iOS based server as posed by the OP. The post has nothing to do with Mavericks. You've been the only person to mention "Mavericks" in this thread.
My reply could have been more directed. I understand exactly what the op is asking for. See my other post. But with the comments about iOS 7 I decided to chime in. To add to that you do not need iOS 7 to airplay from your iPhone to ATV. iOS 6 can do that. So was thinking he was talking about the new feature in the new OS which allows the ATV to be a second screen to your desktop. Differnet then current AirPlay.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.