Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cclloyd

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 26, 2011
Alpha Centauri A
I saw a commercial for bing it on and tried it out. Turns out it's fake.

I searched a few random things, and got the side-by-side results. Then I opened 2 tabs, one for bing and one for google, and searched the same thing in both of them, and neither of the search results matched either frame on bingiton.

Furthermore, I searched the same thing 5 times, and got 10 different results...

AKA, those aren't real search results. I want my free xbox.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
I saw a commercial for bing it on and tried it out. Turns out it's fake.

I searched a few random things, and got the side-by-side results. Then I opened 2 tabs, one for bing and one for google, and searched the same thing in both of them, and neither of the search results matched either frame on bingiton.

Furthermore, I searched the same thing 5 times, and got 10 different results...

AKA, those aren't real search results. I want my free xbox.

Those commercials were probably filmed months ago. The order of results on Google and Bing changes constantly.

Nabooly

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
The fact that they compare it to google tells you straight up that Google is top dog. No competition from my experience with bing

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
Those commercials were probably filmed months ago. The order of results on Google and Bing changes constantly.

I find Google superior when you give vague parameters. Like when you want to search for something, but you don't remember exactly what it is. Google's search algorithm usually turns up the results you're looking for. I've little success with Bing in those cases.

When you search for something specific, I find both to be on par. No point in using Bing, IMO.

pvmacguy

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2009
Jax
The test is stupid, they try and trick you on question 2 by giving you the same or very similar search results but they really are from the same source google they just want to test and see if you know the difference.

Second its easy to spot which search is what by looking at the text. I prefer google and always have so it was easy for me to get the results I wanted.

For average internet user they wouldn't have any idea what they were picking.

I was 5 for 5 for google.

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
Hmm, Bing won 3 matches, Google won 1, and the last was a draw.

Meh, I don't feel like switching everything to Bing though (even though their mobile app is far superior than Google's IMO)

Fluffysam

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2013
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.