Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jimbo23

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 2, 2009
hey guys. a few months ago my gf got a iphone 3gs and got it unlocked from one of her friends, he said you cant upgrade the iphone or it will remove the unlock... well she updated it and sure enough the unlock is gone. its a iphone 3gs 5.1 and i tried jailbreaking it and installing ultrasn0w.. but the iphone still doesnt read the sim card. it either says "searching..." in the top left corner or "No Service."

what do i do?

thanks a bunch guys. really appreciate it!

edit: i read of people using soldering guns n fixing it but i really dont have the tools or experience to do that. i need some ideas on how to fix it via software / computer.

thanks again

Last edited:

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
This is EXACTLY what happened to me and my girlfriend's iPhone What a weird coincidence, that it also happens to be a 3GS ;)

And since it worked for me, try your luck with Apple, you may just get lucky and get a new one :). No need for soldering guns, just rejailbreak with Redsn0w, and you should be good to go. Remember that it isn't really possible to brick an iPhone with this anymore. You'll be fine if you have had previous jail breaking experience before.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.