Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Nov 7, 2012, 01:52 PM   #1
nidserz
macrumors 6502a

Mini Thoughts and Questions

I've had my iPad mini since Saturday but only just got around to downloading some apps, and testing them, etc.
I noticed it is noticeably slower on loading apps, but I guess its expected (compared to my iPhone 5).
I love the form factor so I don't mind sacrificing a bit of speed.

However two questions for you guys:

Seems like the auto-brightness wasn't working so well? It was dark in my room but brightness was like on full. How are you guys controlling or using the brightness? Auto or manual?

Websites reloading - I am using chrome and if I am not in the browser for a few minutes, go back to it, it reloads the page. What if I want to load a site and then leave without internet or just switch back, why does it keep reloading?

Thanks.
twitter |youtube
nidserz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 02:52 PM   #2
TWO2SEVEN
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by nidserz View Post
Seems like the auto-brightness wasn't working so well? It was dark in my room but brightness was like on full. How are you guys controlling or using the brightness? Auto or manual?
I read somewhere that the auto brightness on the iPhone5 "learns" over time. I am assuming it's the same on the Mini.

Basically you turn it on, then manually adjust the brightness for a little while, eventually it will learn your preferences. I have noticed it adjusting more since I turned it on.
TWO2SEVEN is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 04:21 PM   #3
itsmefudge
macrumors member

I don't use auto brightness. I set mine and leave it as is. Sometimes at night, I will turn it down to read, but other than that, I like it bright.

I don't use Chrome on my iPad mini, iPad 2 or iPhone. I am happy with Safari, so I am not able to help you with that question.
itsmefudge is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 10:51 PM   #4
nidserz
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmefudge View Post
I don't use auto brightness. I set mine and leave it as is. Sometimes at night, I will turn it down to read, but other than that, I like it bright.

I don't use Chrome on my iPad mini, iPad 2 or iPhone. I am happy with Safari, so I am not able to help you with that question.
Thanks for your help.
I'm going to try and use safari to see if I encounter the reloading issue. Don't think I have this problem with ipho e 5 so I read it might be a processor issue.
twitter |youtube
Old Nov 7, 2012, 11:07 PM   #5
hyteckit

Quote:

I've noticed this 2 days ago. My auto-brightness doesn't seem to be working like my iPhone.

Was thinking there was a issue with my iPad Mini.

I set the brightness. Turn on auto-brightness.
Go into a dark room. Nothing changes.
Toggle auto-brightness on and off. Nothing changes.
hyteckit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 12:06 AM   #6
haruhiko
macrumors 68030

Quote:
I've had my iPad mini since Saturday but only just got around to downloading some apps, and testing them, etc.
I noticed it is noticeably slower on loading apps, but I guess its expected (compared to my iPhone 5).

Websites reloading - I am using chrome and if I am not in the browser for a few minutes, go back to it, it reloads the page. What if I want to load a site and then leave without internet or just switch back, why does it keep reloading?

Thanks.
For the reloading issue: It's because of the lack of RAM. Your iPhone 5 (or iPad 3/4) has twice the RAM as your iPad mini.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 10:50 AM   #7
nidserz
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by haruhiko View Post
For the reloading issue: It's because of the lack of RAM. Your iPhone 5 (or iPad 3/4) has twice the RAM as your iPad mini.
Oh that is what it was. My bad.
That really sucks.
twitter |youtube
Old Nov 8, 2012, 10:58 AM   #8
ZBoater
macrumors 603

Quote:
...I noticed it is noticeably slower on loading apps, but I guess its expected (compared to my iPhone 5)...
I still have an iPhone (the first one). I noticed the mini is noticeably faster loading apps. Just sayin...
Old Nov 8, 2012, 11:07 AM   #9
MrXiro
macrumors 68020

Quote:

Thanks.
Auto Brightness does not work for me at all on my mini. I turned it off and am just doing it manually.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 11:27 AM   #10
Drew61
macrumors newbie

Mobile Safari, Perfect Browser, and Atomic Web Browser provide offline caching of webpages. There are probably other browsers in the App Store that do this also. I use Safari most of the time because it syncs across my iPhone, MacBook Air, iMac, and iPad but Perfect Browser is a nice alternative.
Drew61 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad