Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Old Dec 16, 2012, 02:46 AM   #51
Rockoar
macrumors regular

The dollar sign always goes first while the euro sign always go after.
$10, 10. I have yet to see someone placing it first here, although I have seen it misplaced while abroad.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 03:09 AM   #52
northernbaldy
macrumors 6502a

The thing I love about standards, is hat there are so many to choose from
Old Dec 16, 2012, 08:27 AM   #53
Gutwrench
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernbaldy View Post
The thing I love about standards, is hat there are so many to choose from
I'm telling you putting the $ at the end of a number makes no cents.
Gutwrench is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 10:40 AM   #54
northernbaldy
macrumors 6502a

the thing i hate about my old ipad is that it thinks I meant hat when I clearly typed that

bloody thing
Old Dec 16, 2012, 11:15 AM   #55
snberk103
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernbaldy View Post

bloody thing
Lucky you didn't get 'bloody hinge' ....
Old Dec 16, 2012, 04:10 PM   #56
Gregg2
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by duneriderltr450 View Post
5$ & eleventy cents.
Seriously, $5 or 11 ... if it's less than $1, the money symbol comes after the number. I think it's just to confuse people trying to learn English.

Last edited by Gregg2; Dec 17, 2012 at 12:18 PM.
Gregg2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 05:02 PM   #57
colourfastt
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg2 View Post
Seriously, $5 or 11c|. I couldn't find the cents symbol, but the point is, if it's less than $1, the money symbol comes after the number. I think it's just to confuse people trying to learn English.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 12:19 PM   #58
Gregg2
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by colourfastt View Post
Thanks for catching the fish for me.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 12:24 PM   #59
colourfastt
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Thanks for catching the fish for me.
It's option-4, btw.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 03:10 PM   #60
Scepticalscribe
macrumors 601

As with language, it could well be that when the format developed (in late medieval Italy) for transcribing financial transactions (double-entry book-keeping, for example), certain conventions were applied which became the norm, or standard, and continued to be used as such, such as, placing the currency symbol in front of the described amount.

This is not used for distance, or speed, because the need to describe these (as a standard) came later than the need to have accurate financial records.
Scepticalscribe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 03:51 PM   #61
snberk103
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scepticalscribe View Post
As with language, it could well be that when the format developed ... for transcribing financial transactions (double-entry book-keeping, for example), ...
This is not used for distance, or speed, because the need to describe these (as a standard) came later than the need to have accurate financial records.
I don't agree. True enough for speed, I concede. But financial transactions would be very concerned about the weight of things. Weights come after the number, recall, traditionally. Also, distance would also be accurately measured for property boundaries, distance to carry freight, etc etc. Recall that the ancient Egyptians were an early inventor of geometry and distance measurements since they had to re-mark farmer's land holdings every time the Nile flooded.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 12:24 PM   #62
Gregg2
macrumors 601

Quote:
As with language, it could well be that when the format developed (in late medieval Italy) for transcribing financial transactions (double-entry book-keeping, for example), certain conventions were applied which became the norm, or standard, and continued to be used as such, such as, placing the currency symbol in front of the described amount.
...maybe they just used a separate column in the spreadsheet for the symbol, thus making it possible to be pre-entered on a template
Old Dec 18, 2012, 12:50 PM   #63
Scepticalscribe
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by snberk103 View Post
I don't agree. True enough for speed, I concede. But financial transactions would be very concerned about the weight of things. Weights come after the number, recall, traditionally. Also, distance would also be accurately measured for property boundaries, distance to carry freight, etc etc. Recall that the ancient Egyptians were an early inventor of geometry and distance measurements since they had to re-mark farmer's land holdings every time the Nile flooded.
While the ancient Egyptians were of course an early inventor of geometry, much of what they knew had been lost (and needed to be rediscovered) by the time of the Renaissance.

While their science and observations were astonishing (given the instruments at their disposal), their way of noting measurements, calculations and the manner in which numeracy was expressed is not what has given rise to the way we write currencies today.

Quote:
...maybe they just used a separate column in the spreadsheet for the symbol, thus making it possible to be pre-entered on a template
....with quill pens, painstakingly transcribed by hand, trying to keep inky fingers clean......(I'm talking about Italian banking houses in the Renaissance period, from where modern practices of accountancy and financial notation derive).
Old Dec 18, 2012, 01:34 PM   #64
snberk103
macrumors 603

Quote:
While the ancient Egyptians were of course an early inventor of geometry, much of what they knew had been lost (and needed to be rediscovered) by the time of the Renaissance.

Only "lost" from the European perspective. Much of knowledge "rediscovered" during the Renaissance was transferred from the Islamic world's scientists.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 01:36 PM   #65
SlasherDuff
macrumors 6502a

Well alrighty then...
Old Dec 18, 2012, 02:29 PM   #66
Scepticalscribe
macrumors 601

Quote:
Only "lost" from the European perspective. Much of knowledge "rediscovered" during the Renaissance was transferred from the Islamic world's scientists.
Oh, yes that is absolutely true, I know this perfectly well (in an earlier life, I used to teach Renaissance history), and I am writing from a European perspective, as European modes are what came to have such an influence on all of our lives.

However, the fact that this knowledge was exceptionally well known in parts of the Arab world did not mean that Europeans knew it until they 'rediscovered' it and allowed that such knowledge was worth incorporating into their own world view (which also meant loosening the stranglehold of the Catholic Church on education, literacy, and challenging what was allowed to be studied & defined as knowledge).
Old Dec 18, 2012, 03:29 PM   #67
snberk103
macrumors 603

Quote:
Oh, yes that is absolutely true, ...
Which still doesn't settle the $ placement question ...

Unless the Pope has had something to say on the matter?
Old Dec 18, 2012, 03:47 PM   #68
Scepticalscribe
macrumors 601

Quote:
Which still doesn't settle the $ placement question ...

Unless the Pope has had something to say on the matter?
Only if His Holiness spoke ex cathedra.....(and historically, his decision to do so came rather late in the day).....
Old Dec 18, 2012, 08:50 PM   #69
colourfastt
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Only if His Holiness spoke ex cathedra.....(and historically, his decision to do so came rather late in the day).....
More like ex catheter
Old Dec 19, 2012, 06:52 AM   #70
Scepticalscribe
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by colourfastt View Post
More like ex catheter
Well, yes, that is the considered opinion of some, it must be said, a dissenting minority, granted, but, nevertheless, an opinion that is not wholly without merit.......

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion