Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac

Old Jan 6, 2013, 01:00 PM   #1
kannesss
Banned

Acer Laptop stuck

I have a friends computer to look at. Only thing is, when you turn it on it only goes to the "windows is loading screen" and freezes there. The only way out of it is to take out the battery. Is there anything I can do? What might I check first etc? Any help really. I just am lost as it won't even get to the login screen. I don't think they have the startup disks either.
kannesss is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 02:41 PM   #2
Quad5Ny
macrumors 6502a

1. Hold down (or rapidly tap) F8 before the Windows screen and then choose "Safe Mode".
  2. Once booted into Safe Mode press the Windows Key+R, type "msconfig" and press Enter.
  3. Go to the Boot Tab, check "OS boot information", click Apply and OK.
  4. Now restart the computer and watch all the text go by, make note of any errors AND WHICH LINE it stops on.
  5. Finally post that information here.

Note: If the computer also Freezes while booting in Safe Mode post any errors and the last few lines it was displaying before freezing (same as above).
Quad5Ny is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 04:28 PM   #3
kannesss
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quad5Ny View Post
  1. Hold down (or rapidly tap) F8 before the Windows screen and then choose "Safe Mode".
  2. Once booted into Safe Mode press the Windows Key+R, type "msconfig" and press Enter.
  3. Go to the Boot Tab, check "OS boot information", click Apply and OK.
  4. Now restart the computer and watch all the text go by, make note of any errors AND WHICH LINE it stops on.
  5. Finally post that information here.

Note: If the computer also Freezes while booting in Safe Mode post any errors and the last few lines it was displaying before freezing (same as above).
Ok thank you for the response first of all.
Basically I did what you told me, got into safe mode and then it said windows loading files with a Gray bar and it freezes at this part. It freezes at this with or without the f8 procedure mentioned above.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	1.54 MB
ID:	388417  
Old Jan 6, 2013, 04:54 PM   #4
blueroom
macrumors 603

Microsoft posts the ISO images for their Windows products. Just burn the correct one to DVD or a USB key, boot, format and install. Make sure it's the same as what you had, you will need to activate it (serial numbers) through Microsoft.

Windows tends to mess itself up over time, the Registry is a turd.
blueroom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 08:17 PM   #5
kannesss
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueroom View Post
Microsoft posts the ISO images for their Windows products. Just burn the correct one to DVD or a USB key, boot, format and install. Make sure it's the same as what you had, you will need to

Windows tends to mess itself up over time, the Registry is a turd.
They got it at a pawn shop so there isn't any info with it. Just the computer and charger. :/
Old Jan 6, 2013, 08:56 PM   #6
kannesss
Banned

Is hilarious to me that I got more replys about this on here, a mac forum, than the windows forum.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 10:03 PM   #7
shoulin333
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannesss View Post
Is hilarious to me that I got more replys about this on here, a mac forum, than the windows forum.
That's because all of us PC geeks that know what we are talking about have some to the mac dark side. The only people left in the windows forums don't have a clue. haha ( no maybe not all of them )
Old Jan 8, 2013, 11:41 AM   #8
Quad5Ny
macrumors 6502a

So you cant boot in Safe Mode? =\

Do you know what version of Windows the laptop came with? Check the Microsoft sticker on the bottom of the laptop. If its Windows 7, you can download the correct version Here.

Since its from a Pawn shop I'm guessing you don't care about loosing whatever is currently on the HD.

Quote:
How to do a Clean Install of Windows 7:
  1. Burn the Windows 7 ISO to a DVD
  2. Boot from the DVD
  3. Click Next
  4. Click the "Repair your Computer Button"
  5. Click "Use recovery tools that can help fix…"
  6. Click "Command Prompt"
  7. Type:
    • diskpart
    • select disk 0 (Disk 0 should be your main HD, if not you can use "list disk" to see all your drives)
    • clean (This will erase everything on disk 0)
    • exit
    • exit
  8. Quit out of Command Prompt and get back to the Very First Screen
  9. Follow This Tutorial to install Windows 7 Clean
Remember to go to Acer's website and download all the Drivers you need for your computer model after Windows is installed. After all the drivers are installed, restart and run Windows Update to get all the Security Updates.

Last edited by Quad5Ny; Jan 8, 2013 at 11:59 AM.
Quad5Ny is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac