Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 2, 2013, 11:26 AM   #1
elaniemay
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: California, USA
Will AT&T somehow screw me?

I am up for my upgrade in April. I had originally planned to wait for whatever Apple releases in September-ish and upgrade at that point. I have debated whether I should cross over to Android for the last year or so and now I really am on the fence. This isn't a debate about that; I know how ridiculous it would be to ask for advice on that point on an Apple forum.

My consideration is paying full price for a no-contract Android device and testing it out for however long the return period is (10 days or so) and seeing what I think. Regardless of what I decide, I would return it before the return period ended. That way, I could get a feel for Android and could make a more informed decision when my upgrade time frame came about.

My questions are...would AT&T screw me somehow for doing this? I do not want to use or forfeit my upgrade, which is why I would pay the no-contract price for a phone. I have the grandfathered unlimited data plan on my iPhone; would this transfer smoothly to an Android device? This question is quite important since I could decide to go the Android route later on when I am ready to upgrade.

What is the best route to take here? Jailbreak my iPhone and see what I think of that? I am a hands-on person...so I really feel that I need a little time with an Android device and don't really know anyone close to me that owns one.
__________________
64gb iPad Air
elaniemay is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 12:55 PM   #2
Mrbobb
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Buy the Android for a second account, leave original account untouched.
__________________
Solution: FREE, Explanation: Is gonna cost ya.
Mrbobb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 01:06 PM   #3
elaniemay
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: California, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbobb View Post
Buy the Android for a second account, leave original account untouched.
As a trial run? I have never had a no-contract phone, so I'm talking out of my rear end. Wouldn't that be the most expensive route to take? Even if I cancelled everything within the return period, wouldn't I have to pay for that month of service?
__________________
64gb iPad Air
elaniemay is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 01:22 PM   #4
grodgers
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
IMHO, the 'right" thing to do would be:

1) Do your homework. Use the WebRnet to gather your information.

2) Have a beer with a buddy who has an android phone you want. Look it over and play with it.

3) Buy it. or not.

When you purchase something with no intention of keeping it, but just using "free" services for a short period of time, you drive the cost up for the rest of us.
grodgers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 01:23 PM   #5
Mrbobb
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by elaniemay View Post
wouldn't I have to pay for that month of service?
Small price to pay since your whole intention is to try it, AND most importantly satisfies your concern that your unlimited account won't be disturbed. That was you MAJOR concern did you not say?
__________________
Solution: FREE, Explanation: Is gonna cost ya.
Mrbobb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 01:34 PM   #6
elaniemay
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: California, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by grodgers View Post
IMHO, the 'right" thing to do would be:

1) Do your homework. Use the WebRnet to gather your information.

2) Have a beer with a buddy who has an android phone you want. Look it over and play with it.

3) Buy it. or not.

When you purchase something with no intention of keeping it, but just using "free" services for a short period of time, you drive the cost up for the rest of us.
Except not one person I know has an Android, everyone owns an iPhone. I have been researching the hell out of phones, but hands-on is the way to go to really get a feel for the performance of the phone.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbobb View Post
Small price to pay since your whole intention is to try it, AND most importantly satisfies your concern that your unlimited account won't be disturbed. That was you MAJOR concern did you not say?
True, I suppose this is the safest route. I had not even considered that. I will have to look into it. Thank you.
__________________
64gb iPad Air
elaniemay is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 01:51 PM   #7
abz1981
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by elaniemay View Post
I am up for my upgrade in April. I had originally planned to wait for whatever Apple releases in September-ish

and upgrade at that point. I have debated whether I should cross over to Android for the last year or so and now I really am on the fence. This isn't a debate about that; I know how ridiculous it would be to ask for advice on that point on an Apple forum.

My consideration is paying full price for a no-contract Android device and testing it out for however long the return period is (10 days or so) and seeing what I think. Regardless of what I decide, I would return it before the return period ended. That way, I could get a feel for Android and could make a more informed decision when my upgrade time frame came about.

My questions are...would AT&T screw me somehow for doing this? I do not want to use or forfeit my upgrade, which is why I would pay the no-contract price for a phone. I have the grandfathered unlimited data plan on my iPhone; would this transfer smoothly to an Android device? This question is quite important since I could decide to go the Android route later on when I am ready to upgrade.

What is the best route to take here? Jailbreak my iPhone and see what I think of that? I am a hands-on person...so I really feel that I need a little time with an Android device and don't really know anyone close to me that owns one.
If your carrier lets you try out another phone as part of your upgrade and you return it back within the trial period and can go back on to your original plan then go for it.

In the UK that's how carriers work here you get a 7 working days cooling off period ( trial period ) and if you don't like the handset return it back and go back to your old plan.
abz1981 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 04:22 PM   #8
takeshi74
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by elaniemay View Post
My questions are...would AT&T screw me somehow for doing this? I do not want to use or forfeit my upgrade, which is why I would pay the no-contract price for a phone. I have the grandfathered unlimited data plan on my iPhone; would this transfer smoothly to an Android device?
Ask at&t. They might charge you a restocking fee or something but I'm not familiar with their policies. If you pay full price then you retain your subsidy and unlimited data. Again, verify with at&t directly.
takeshi74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 04:32 PM   #9
Mrbobb
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi74 View Post
Again, verify with at&t directly.

This assuming the carrier is a well-run company which has a consistent policy. Carriers in the U.S. and definitely AT&T... their left hand doesn't know what their right hand are doing. U get the feeling that the retail clerks are just superficially trained. The AT&T website makes changes, sell new products, and they don't disseminate the information down to the retail level. Even on their own website, one page says you can do it, the other page, in fine print course, says no can't, and if they purposely make it complicated to take your money, and then you are too tired, have to time to fight them. AT&T definitely suxs as far as informing the customer, be transparent... NO.
__________________
Solution: FREE, Explanation: Is gonna cost ya.
Mrbobb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 05:18 PM   #10
korbearus10
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: California
Okay, I can actually answer a couple questions from my experience.

1) If you buy a phone on contract from AT&T, you will be able to return the phone and cancel the contract within certain time frame. However, you will be charged a $35 restocking fee for most smartphones.

2) On the other hand, if you want to try out an Android phone, it wouldn't be a bad idea to try Amazon Wireless. I have used them before and they didn't charge me any restocking fee when I returned the phone within certain amount of days. I was also able to cancel the contract extension with AT&T (Amazon Wireless is like Wirefly, BestBuy or Target Mobile).

One downside to Amazon wireless is that you might have to wait a few days to a few weeks before receiving your refund, because you'd have to return the phone to them. Return shipping is free, though.
korbearus10 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 05:37 PM   #11
elaniemay
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: California, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by korbearus10 View Post
Okay, I can actually answer a couple questions from my experience.

1) If you buy a phone on contract from AT&T, you will be able to return the phone and cancel the contract within certain time frame. However, you will be charged a $35 restocking fee for most smartphones.

2) On the other hand, if you want to try out an Android phone, it wouldn't be a bad idea to try Amazon Wireless. I have used them before and they didn't charge me any restocking fee when I returned the phone within certain amount of days. I was also able to cancel the contract extension with AT&T (Amazon Wireless is like Wirefly, BestBuy or Target Mobile).

One downside to Amazon wireless is that you might have to wait a few days to a few weeks before receiving your refund, because you'd have to return the phone to them. Return shipping is free, though.
Restocking fee...didn't even think of that! Thank you.
__________________
64gb iPad Air
elaniemay is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 05:39 PM   #12
bonskovsky
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by elaniemay View Post
Will AT&T somehow screw me?
I don't know. Depends on what you're looking for. But I never thought it was that kind of business.
bonskovsky is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:29 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC