Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bembol

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2006
I am bummed by my new iMac because I refuse to open a web browser.

I can't access any web pages on my new iMac and if that's the price I have to pay for my stance, then that's ok with me, but I still wish I could get to webpages.

Until Steve Jobs creates an application that allows me to browse web pages without using a web browser, I'll just have to do without.

Some people have said that I'm insane, but I just like to think of myself as responsibly cautious.

That's gold.

Seriously, I never knew about any of these until I read this thread.

We have all of them installed in all of our iMac's. Except for HDD had no issues.

I just got my new 27" today and now questioning it but mt nieces and nephews use it for games.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
I am bummed by my new iMac because I refuse to open a web browser.

I can't access any web pages on my new iMac and if that's the price I have to pay for my stance, then that's ok with me, but I still wish I could get to webpages.

Until Steve Jobs creates an application that allows me to browse web pages without using a web browser, I'll just have to do without.

Some people have said that I'm insane, but I just like to think of myself as responsibly cautious.

If you think Steve Jobs can fix your issue then you are insane. :D

Seriously though, that doesn't make sense what you're saying, no matter what application you use to browse webpages it will still be called a "web browser".
I hope you were being sarcastic in your entire post. I really do.

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
You should be happy! Apple totally agrees with you and doesn't install Flash, Java or Spotlight on OS X equipped machines!

Why do people stay away from flash? Coming over from Windows I installed it I believe the first day or so I got my unit...should/could I uninstall it?

MEGrubb

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2012
If you think Steve Jobs can fix your issue then you are insane. :D

Seriously though, that doesn't make sense what you're saying, no matter what application you use to browse webpages it will still be called a "web browser".
I hope you were being sarcastic in your entire post. I really do.

He's definitely being sarcastic...

Kadath

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 28, 2006
Tried going the user agent route. Every time I try to load tho it does a redirect to: nflx://www.netflix.com/WiPlayer?episodeid=70248471&movieid=70177057&trkid...etc which obviously fails out because safari doesnt know what to do with an nflx protocol call.... Any ideas on that?

And I can't Airplay to it because apparently you can only airplay from OSX to an Apple TV, you can't use it as a destination from an iDevice.

TiBook550

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2004
Atl, GA
If you really want to spend money as a work around to the free silverlight plugin, there's always: Air Server

Comes in a free trial to test it out first, though I can confirm it'll work mirroring Netflix on iOS to your Mac.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.