Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography

Old Feb 19, 2013, 08:57 PM   #26
MSM Hobbes
macrumors 6502

FYI - the OP purchased a Canon G15… nice camera.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1519679

Besides a true DSLR body, this was one that I'd recommend, along w/ the SX260 HS… but biggest suggestions I've made before here too: (a) feel the camera in your hand, get a body that fits YOUR hands and your motions,,, the ergonomics must match you ad your needs, (b) read the reviews, know what you are getting, pros / cons, (c) get some decent books to better understand photography, join online camera / photography forum, take some classes, practice and practice, ask questions,,, learn, never stop, and (d) get ready to invest in some storage systems.
MSM Hobbes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 10:46 PM   #27
Chuck-Norris
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciclismo View Post
If you are still looking, and your budget allows, go for a Nikon D600. It's one of the most affordable full frame (i.e. 35mm equivalent) cameras, and Nikon currently seems to be several steps ahead of Canon. Reason is, if you decide to stick with photography, chances are you will go to full frame eventually anyway.

Having said that, for street photography, smaller cameras are usually better - micro four thirds cameras, for example, aren't quite as threatening to Joe Public as a full frame with a 70-200mm cannon on it.
how exactly is nikon a few steps ahead of canon?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledzeppelin View Post
Well I was in the same thinking....looking at the D5200, even waiting for it to come to USA then when I went to store and actually held it and the T4i I was shocked to like the feel of the T4i much better. I couldn't believe it because I had figured on buying the D5200.....but I bought the T4i with the STM 18-135 and the 70-300 lens. But I'm thinking of exchanging the 70-300 for the 100-400L lens.
anyway be sure to actually hold the camera bodies then get the one that feels best is my 2cents.

----------

Yeah, for sure.....I can say the canon S95 is great pocket point and shoot.
so you decided on the t4i because it felt better in the hand is what your saying?
Chuck-Norris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 06:42 AM   #28
Ciclismo
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck-Norris View Post
how exactly is nikon a few steps ahead of canon?

----------

I should have elaborated that Nikon seems to have the lead in the 35mm full frame category. The D600 and D800 have better dynamic range and better low light performance than the Canon counterparts, the 6D and 5D mkIII respectively (go and compare the cameras at DXO, and the RAW images at DP Review). And, here in Germany at least, Nikon is considerably cheaper than Canon for bodies as well as most lenses. Anecdotally, Nikon seems to have better service here as well.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 07:18 AM   #29
ledzeppelin
macrumors member

----------

[/COLOR]

so you decided on the t4i because it felt better in the hand is what your saying?[/QUOTE]

Well, yes. The D5200 I really wanted but when I held it with my hand I got the buttons with thumb and also with us being first time DX DSL buyers kinda liked the touch screen but I did wring hands and gnashed teeth over the choice because I felt like the D5200 was fresher technology ...did I make mistake , oh maybe but DW was leaning the T4i way for reasons and the big thing is getting the glass now after the body purchase is locking us into the canon way...
I know another purchase is in future of a body but for entry level learning we went ahead with this T4i.
Gee I always thought the Nikon had better ergonomics and I felt between the two I/we liked the T4i feel holding it better and button lay out.
gotta go for now but I hope I explained what you wanted.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 08:12 AM   #30
Micky Do
macrumors 6502

Go for a cheap compact to cut your digital teeth.

I used to get good results with a range-finder 35mm camera. I liked the small size, which was good to carry around, and relatively unobtrusive for candid shots, which I enjoy taking.

I was slow to make the move to digital, weighing up what would suit me best. Should it be an advanced compact such as a Canon G series or the Fujifilm X10? Or should I go for a DSLR?

In the end I went for neither. Last July I saw an Olympus Tough TG 310 on sale for about $US 130 (half the usual price) the last of the stock just before the TG 320 came out. Sure it has its shortcomings, shutter lag being the main one, from my point of view, but it has been a great way to start on digital photography. I have learned a lot, and have a better idea of what I want next. However, you can be sure the TG 310 will remain with me.........

It has proved very versatile; I have used it in a wide range of situations. It has also been the source of most of the photos used in reports of local cricket league games in the Phuket press since I got it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ali Ahmed lofted a big one, ran the length of the pith and turned to see it fall into the hands .jpg
Views:	5
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	398293   Click image for larger version

Name:	Snorkeling at Kata Beach.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	398294   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kings Cup yachts at sunset; Kata 5 Dec '12.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	398295  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Is she going to make the tackle?.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	398296   Click image for larger version

Name:	Barry Buck (TNT) bowls to David Watson; 15 year-old Paan from Ban Sapam school keeping..jpg
Views:	2
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	398297  

Last edited by Micky Do; Feb 20, 2013 at 08:20 AM.
Micky Do is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 01:31 PM   #31
Chuck-Norris
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciclismo View Post
I should have elaborated that Nikon seems to have the lead in the 35mm full frame category. The D600 and D800 have better dynamic range and better low light performance than the Canon counterparts, the 6D and 5D mkIII respectively (go and compare the cameras at DXO, and the RAW images at DP Review). And, here in Germany at least, Nikon is considerably cheaper than Canon for bodies as well as most lenses. Anecdotally, Nikon seems to have better service here as well.
do you have an opnion on the consumer end cameras, the nikon d5200 or the canon 650d (t4i)
Chuck-Norris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 02:11 PM   #32
Ciclismo
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck-Norris View Post
do you have an opnion on the consumer end cameras, the nikon d5200 or the canon 650d (t4i)
Not so much, unfortunately, as I haven´t researched them much. I am currently using a Panasonic GH2 (a micro four thirds camera) and want to migrate to 35mm cameras, which is why I have spent considerable time researching them.

I would suggest that you browse some of the less biased photography forums as well as DXO and DP Review, and always try to avoid believing the hyperbole and be sceptical of others opinions unless they offer good arguments to support them.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 03:26 PM   #33
twitch31
macrumors regular

For less money the Pentax K-30 IMHO stacks up as a better camera than the Nikon 5200 or the Canon 650D due to a second control dial and the weather sealing.

I'm also a big fan of the Olympus OMD and the Sony RX100 if you want a smaller camera with excellent IQ.

Last edited by twitch31; Feb 20, 2013 at 03:32 PM.
twitch31 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography