Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Jul 17, 2013, 01:29 PM   #1
Sanchez25
macrumors regular

Can a .dmg file have a limit on how often you can open it?

Quick story short:

- Thereís a game that Iím trying to make run, only runs on Lion however (I have ML)
- Decided to completely reinstall ML, redownloaded .dmg file of the game at the store I bought it from
- Reinstalled the game, worked fine on ML until a day after when it decided to stop working

Now Iím going to do a complete fresh install of Lion, where the game should work normally.

My question isÖ should I download the .dmg of the game again? Iím not sure why exactly it isnít work (a year ago it worked perfectly fine on ML even though it wasnít supported), so I thought there may be a limit on how often I can extract it or something.

Itís 9 GB so if possible Iíd prefer to not have to download it again. Iíve installed it 3 times so far (well, installed and uninstalled again).

What do you think?

Proud -user since ever.
Sanchez25 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2013, 01:33 PM   #2
monkeybagel
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanchez25 View Post
Quick story short:

- Thereís a game that Iím trying to make run, only runs on Lion however (I have ML)
- Decided to completely reinstall ML, redownloaded .dmg file of the game at the store I bought it from
- Reinstalled the game, worked fine on ML until a day after when it decided to stop working

Now Iím going to do a complete fresh install of Lion, where the game should work normally.

My question isÖ should I download the .dmg of the game again? Iím not sure why exactly it isnít work (a year ago it worked perfectly fine on ML even though it wasnít supported), so I thought there may be a limit on how often I can extract it or something.

Itís 9 GB so if possible Iíd prefer to not have to download it again. Iíve installed it 3 times so far (well, installed and uninstalled again).

What do you think?
I am not aware that is a "feature" of the .DMG file format. I would guess the software may be able to alter it to disable it, however.
monkeybagel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2013, 01:43 PM   #3
sonicrobby
macrumors 6502a

I dont think there is any limit on how many times you can open it. From my experience (not knowledge), to me it seems like .dmg files are just like .rar or .zip files in a way. You open them, and it opens a folder (or even "mounts") in the left hand column of finder (assuming your preferences has that section showing, its either hardrives or computers, not positive.)

Anyway, from inside that mount/folder is the actual, in your case, game file. Usually you just drag and drop that into your applications folder and voila.

But thats just my experience, I dont really know the details of .dmg. I did create my own password-protected dmg for... personal files...

But yeah, I dont think you have to redownload the game everytime, just backup the .dmg file
Old Jul 17, 2013, 01:58 PM   #4
Dalton63841
macrumors 65816

There is no option to control the number of times it can be mounted. OSX sees dmg's in a similar manner to how it sees flash drives or dvd's. You mount it, it shows up. There are options for password protection, filesystem types, and compression levels but that's about it.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 06:27 PM   #5
Sanchez25
macrumors regular

Alright guys then I wonít download it again I think, thanks!

Proud -user since ever.
Sanchez25 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help