Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

olalakers

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
I am thinking of buying my Mom a new ipad. She still uses ipad 1 after all! All she really does is email and games. Is it worth waiting for the ipad 5 or am I safe just buying the ipad 4 right now?

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
If you need it NOW then go for it. We are so close to an announcement it would be better to wait. If you don't think the iPad 5 is worth the money it will just make the iPad 4 that much cheaper after the announcement. ;)

AppleOfMyOy

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2008
If you MUST give her something now, like if it's her birthday, then . . .

. . . then give her an Apple gift card now, and advise her not to use it until the new iPads come out. You will have given her a gift on time and not have invested in an about-to-be-outdated iPad.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
If all she's doing with the 1 is emailing and surfing the web, then I doubt she needs even a 4. When I got my rMBP, I turned my 4 over to my fiancee as she uses it for movie streaming at night. I'm not going to be jumping in for a 5 though....This MBP fits my needs, does all the fun stuff AND runs Logic X for edits just fine.

I gave my ipad 1 to a buddy who uses it the same way your Mom does, and he's still happy with it.

olalakers

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
So, with the 5, there is not going to be much of a difference from the 4? Is that what I understand? Is it confirmed that the 4 will go down in price when the ipad 5 is released? From what I am reading, all the 5 is going to have different is it will be lighter than previous models? Is that correct?

Tysknaden

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2013
Wait!

I am thinking of buying my Mom a new ipad. She still uses ipad 1 after all! All she really does is email and games. Is it worth waiting for the ipad 5 or am I safe just buying the ipad 4 right now?

You do not sound like someone, who is that needy for a new iPad, he cannot wait a few more weeks. Especially considered, how long the iPad first G is already in use - you should wait a little.
The smaller iPad 5 G will be easier to handle for your Mom, and the new OS will already be installed.

----------

So, with the 5, there is not going to be much of a difference from the 4? Is that what I understand? Is it confirmed that the 4 will go down in price when the ipad 5 is released? From what I am reading, all the 5 is going to have different is it will be lighter than previous models? Is that correct?

It will have a smaller bezel, too. The processor will have an update, and the iOS7 will be installed. All this means: Easier handling and transport/ longer lifetime.
If price is important: You should consider a refurbished iPad4. 16 Gigabyte should be enough - if Mom is actually using the pad only for the purposes, mentioned by her son.
Buying an iPad4 now for normal price is not reasonable. It would mean paying a premium price for technology soon to be outdated.

The difference in between iPad1 and iPad4 is huge. Even for websurfing. People, who say, the difference in between the two incarnations is negliable, obviously did never have the experience of comparing them to each other. You will do your Mom a big favour by updating the generation of iPad she is using!

Last edited:

olalakers

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
Thank you so much everybody for your input. Sounds like it makes sense to just be patient and wait for the ipad 5. Buying a 4 when it will be old technology does not make much sense. Her birthday is October 20. Is it safe to say that it will be released by then?

Hello...

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2011
I don't need it but WANT it, have a new mini now and will sell that to get the 5.

wolfpuppies3

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2012
Virginia, USA
No, I don't even need the 4. My two threes are plenty fast and have retina displays.

I am waiting to see what the new iPad mini will offer as I have decided that getting mine with wifi only was a mistake. Too much of the free wifi is slower than writing a letter and mailing it in the post box and LTE, commonly available hereabuts, is faster than most fast wifi.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Thank you so much everybody for your input. Sounds like it makes sense to just be patient and wait for the ipad 5. Buying a 4 when it will be old technology does not make much sense. Her birthday is October 20. Is it safe to say that it will be released by then?
It's a good probability that it will be announced by then if not actually shipping.

And yes, I would recommend waiting for the new iPad. The iPad 4 will in all likelihood stop getting iOS updates sooner than the iPad 5 will. So a month (give or take) wait will make the iPad you get usable for a year or 2 longer before running into software update issues.

Deliro

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2011
No one needs an iPad. It's a toy mainly... I'm sure she is fine with the iPad 1. Save your money.

3rd Rock

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2012
Over here
No one needs an iPad. It's a toy mainly... I'm sure she is fine with the iPad 1. Save your money.

Silly remark. No one ? Really ? Some use it as their main computer, and I think that may be a good reason to have one. Than you go on to say, she is fine with an iPad 1. That's and iPad. You know, the one you said no one needs. :p :confused:

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
What does she find lacking with her iPad? You know her better than any of us do so you're best equipped to answer your own question. Worth is always highly subjective. Since it's for her you need to consider her rather than ask broad, general questions.

Silly remark. No one ? Really ?
Depends on how one defines need. The traditional needs are air, water, food, shelter & security. No iPad in that list.

However, it can certainly be argued that a computer (or iPad) is a modern need.

Just because you don't agree with something doesn't make it silly.

Than you go on to say, she is fine with an iPad 1. That's and iPad. You know, the one you said no one needs.
A person "can be fine" with something without needing it.

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
I would say definitely wait for the new one to come out. The difference this time around is not just the processor bump and maybe ram, but it will also have a new design as well as being lighter. The new design is basically the same exact design as the iPad mini, but larger scale. I personally would wait for the new design as I think it might be more friendly for use, and the shaving of a few grams definitely helps you enjoy the experience. Granted, even though I think it would only make maybe 20% of a difference if you got her the new 5 instead of just getting her the 4 now, I still think it is worth it for your mom's birthday gift. That's just me personally.

I do not think the iPad 4 (iPad with Retina Display) will be that much cheaper after release. Might go down $50-100 (they do hold their value), but that is assuming they discontinue the iPad 4 (and you buy left over stock on amazon).

On a side note, they may release the iPad's September 10th! But they may also only release them mid October, so it would be a pleasant surprise if you got her a device that came out literally like 3 days before, but it might be cutting it close. They would announce the date they're selling them at the October event (sometimes they sell a week later, sometimes right away). Good luck

Deliro

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2011
Silly remark. No one ? Really ? Some use it as their main computer, and I think that may be a good reason to have one. Than you go on to say, she is fine with an iPad 1. That's and iPad. You know, the one you said no one needs. :p :confused:

If you want a sub-par and more inefficient experience, by all means, use an iPad as your main "computer".

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
YES you NEED IT!!!! That and some Funyons... oh man I NEED some Funyons right NOW!!

I have the iPad2,3,4 and will get the 5. I don't want to be labeled an iPad bigot.

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles

If your loving mommy have very strong hands then iPad 4 is fine for her if you want to save extra money. Try at Apple Refurb online. :apple:

Zerilos

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
If you need it NOW then go for it. We are so close to an announcement it would be better to wait. If you don't think the iPad 5 is worth the money it will just make the iPad 4 that much cheaper after the announcement. ;)

Unless they discontinue to 4 after they release the 5. They did that with both the original iPad and the 3.

CoMoMacUser

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2012
A moose bit my sister once

I have an iPad 1 and am considering getting the 5. My advice is to wait and get the latest and greatest version. If it turns out that the specs are overkill for her needs, then you should be able to get a deep discount on a new or used 4 due to the 5's arrival.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.