Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JoelBC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
I have had this happen four or five times over the last few days so thought I would ask...

I am in the process of separating my "personal computing" from my "work computing"...one of the results of this is that I have gone onto a number of sites -- such as macrumors.com" -- to change my e-mail address from an "@business name. com" e-mail address to an "@icloud.com" e-mail address which generates an auto-response e-mail to my @icloud.com e-mail address which I need to respond to to complete the change...

The interesting things is that:

1. Although this has worked for most sites there are four or five sites for which this has repeatedly failed.

2. In thinking about this I decided to try to change from @business name.com to @ me.com and...it worked, for all such sites!

The question is why are the e-mail NOT coming through to my @icloud.com address but are coming through to my @me.com e-mail address noting that I am using the same computer for both [i.e. no firewall differences], the same e-mail application configured the same way, etc.

Thanks in advance for the help,

Joel

-Concept-

macrumors member
I have had this happen four or five times over the last few days so thought I would ask...

I am in the process of separating my "personal computing" from my "work computing"...one of the results of this is that I have gone onto a number of sites -- such as macrumors.com" -- to change my e-mail address from an "@business name. com" e-mail address to an "@icloud.com" e-mail address which generates an auto-response e-mail to my @icloud.com e-mail address which I need to respond to to complete the change...

The interesting things is that:

1. Although this has worked for most sites there are four or five sites for which this has repeatedly failed.

2. In thinking about this I decided to try to change from @business name.com to @ me.com and...it worked, for all such sites!

The question is why are the e-mail NOT coming through to my @icloud.com address but are coming through to my @me.com e-mail address noting that I am using the same computer for both [i.e. no firewall differences], the same e-mail application configured the same way, etc.

Thanks in advance for the help,

Joel

So wait.. you mean that the websites CAN'T send notifications to the "@icloud.com" address but CAN send them to the "@me.com" address?

JoelBC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
So wait.. you mean that the websites CAN'T send notifications to the "@icloud.com" address but CAN send them to the "@me.com" address?

Yes, that is exactly what I am saying and, worse than that, every night my router generates a log of daily issues and send it to me via e-mail and i) I can receive it at my @business name.com e-mail address ii) I can receive it at my @me.com and iii) I can NOT receive it at my @icloud.com e-mail address...

-Concept-

macrumors member
Hmm... this is an error I've never heard before. I know that there was one problem with people connecting with their phones to their @icloud.com accounts but it doesn't seem as though that's the problem you're experiencing. Let me get back to you when I talk to one of my Mac head friends - he's a bit more Apple-centered than I am.

As something to get you going while I check back on that, try creating another icloud account and see if it works then.. no harm since it's free. :) Other thing I thought of was to make sure that iCloud stuff is checked off in System Preferences.

Last edited:

JoelBC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
Hmm... this is an error I've never heard before. I know that there was one problem with people connecting with their phones to their @icloud.com accounts but it doesn't seem as though that's the problem you're experiencing. Let me get back to you when I talk to one of my Mac head friends - he's a bit more Apple-centered than I am.

Fantastic, look forward to hearing back from you...

As something to get you going while I check back on that, try creating another icloud account and see if it works then.. no harm since it's free. :) Other thing I thought of was to make sure that iCloud stuff is checked off in System Preferences.

I can will try it and revert back to you about the new e-mail account...it is extremely change given that in my Outlook setup both my @me.com and my @icloud.com accounts are using the same mail server which w eknow works because most of the time I successfully receive the website notifications...

-Concept-

macrumors member
So this guy, he used to do dev for mobile me and does some stuff with icloud, so I knew he'd be the best person to go to. What he said was to be sure that the said emails are not in your spam mail folder, and that you haven't missed a notification for activation or anything. Afterwards, he said that if you're having this problem on 5 sites, but not on others, that the problem seems to be site specific, and that it's probably an issue with their SMTP sending mail to your @icloud.com account.

& You've tried to email to both addresses and it comes up?

JoelBC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
So this guy, he used to do dev for mobile me and does some stuff with icloud, so I knew he'd be the best person to go to. What he said was to be sure that the said emails are not in your spam mail folder, and that you haven't missed a notification for activation or anything. Afterwards, he said that if you're having this problem on 5 sites, but not on others, that the problem seems to be site specific, and that it's probably an issue with their SMTP sending mail to your @icloud.com account.

& You've tried to email to both addresses and it comes up?

Appreciate the follow up...a few things...

1. There is no spam folder to check (so this added confusion)...I checked my icloud e-mail on both the web interface and through Outlook and in both cases there was no spam folder.

2. How do I fix / resolve the issues with their SMTP sending e-mail to my icloud account...on this point, is this not strange as both the @me.com and the @icloud.com use the same SMTP server address which is smtp.mail.me.com

Thanks,

Joel

-Concept-

macrumors member
On the web interface it's called "Junk" lol, sorry for any confusion. It should be the 7th tab down. & I think what my friend, Tom, meant was that the actual website's SMTP was having an issue. To fix this, you get the administrator of the website to change his notification SMTP (assume it's the email notifications), but I doubt you'll have much luck with that (because people are lazy, not because it's hard to do).

My advice at this point would just be to use what works.

JoelBC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
On the web interface it's called "Junk" lol, sorry for any confusion. It should be the 7th tab down.

This folder is empty so nothing is being redirected their...

& I think what my friend, Tom, meant was that the actual website's SMTP was having an issue. To fix this, you get the administrator of the website to change his notification SMTP (assume it's the email notifications), but I doubt you'll have much luck with that (because people are lazy, not because it's hard to do).

Well that is never going to happen as one of the web sites I contacted basically told me "too bad"...the good news is that it most works with one of @me.com or @icloud.com so I guess i will be okay but it sure would be nice for it to work consistently.

My advice at this point would just be to use what works.

Yup...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.