Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

noodlemanc

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
Australasia
How do I compress an image on a mac? (btw, I don't mean zipping/archiving it, I mean making the image size smaller... ie; turning a 100kb image into a 30kb image, for example).

Thanks!

12dylan34

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2009
Open the image in Preview, go to File>Export, choose where you want to save it, then choose "JPEG" from the dropdown at the bottom, and move the slider accordingly, the max being the best quality and largest file, and the min being the worst quality and smallest file.

noodlemanc

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
Australasia
Open the image in Preview, go to File>Export, choose where you want to save it, then choose "JPEG" from the dropdown at the bottom, and move the slider accordingly, the max being the best quality and largest file, and the min being the worst quality and smallest file.

Thanks for your reply... However I already tried that, and the worst image quality I could make it was 37kb, when the size I need it at is a tad smaller, at 29kb. Is there any way to make it 29kb?

12dylan34

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2009
Thanks for your reply... However I already tried that, and the worst image quality I could make it was 37kb, when the size I need it at is a tad smaller, at 29kb. Is there any way to make it 29kb?

Just a guess, but does it work to take the JPEG that you made the first time and the the export thing in Preview again?

If you can stand for it to be smaller in dimension, you could go to Tools>Adjust Size in Preview and use that thing.

noodlemanc

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
Australasia
Just a guess, but does it work to take the JPEG that you made the first time and the the export thing in Preview again?

If you can stand for it to be smaller in dimension, you could go to Tools>Adjust Size in Preview and use that thing.

Yeah, reducing the size and THEN lowering the quality worked. Thanks! ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.