Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

okayokay

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2011
Self explanatory title.

Can I connect PS3 to a Thunderbolt Display?

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Right now, you cannot. In the future you may be able to do that if an appropriate adapter is released.

DarwinOSX

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2009
Kanex and others make adapters that work with mini-dosplay port to HDMI for PS/3 and other devices. But the new ACD uses a TB cable. I would expect these same companies to make an adapter for TB to HDMI as well but there is nothing right now.

misterbig

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2010
Right now, Thunderbolt display + anything that doesn't have a thunderbolt port = Not possible.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I'm also interested in knowing if a tb display can be used for ps3. Would something like this not work? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mac-Neet®-U...68S0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1317413496&sr=8-1

Would be great to get rid of my ugly TV and replace it with a tb display!

No. That's a miniDisplayPort video (with which TB also is backward-compatible with) to HDMI adapter. Not the other way around. This little box takes a miniDisplayPort signal - which you'll also get out of a Thunderbolt port if nothing else is plugged in to it* - and output an up to 1920x1080 HDMI signal. That's all.

The ONLY THING that can drive a picture on the Apple Thunderbolt Display is a Thunderbolt Mac. Period.

*To complicate things, certain TB peripherals will allow you to daisy chain a single displayport monitor off them, though for very specific technical reasons the Apple Thunderbolt display cannot without another non-video TB peripheral in the chain after it. AnandTech has the technical details well described, and it's not just because Apple felt like being mean; it's a specific TB-protocol hardware limitation.

kyjaotkb

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2009
London, UK
When is that going to happen? Any news?

Given the lack of enthusiasm regarding Thunderbolt adoption among OEMs and the fact that TB requires quite a few electronics components in the cable and at each end of it - I'd not bet my money on it... And even if it appears it is likely it will be costly (I'd guess no less than $100).
cheers

IAMMICK

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2013
Intensity extreme by blackmagic can capture ps3 on macs with thunderbolt. Only within the software you get with it though I think. Zero lag so if the viewer was larger playing multiplayer fps would be fine.

cocacolakid

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2010
Chicago
Intensity extreme by blackmagic can capture ps3 on macs with thunderbolt. Only within the software you get with it though I think. Zero lag so if the viewer was larger playing multiplayer fps would be fine.

That captures video, it won't connect a non-Thunderbolt PC/Console to a Thunderbolt display. It's also $299.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
Right now, you cannot. In the future you may be able to do that if an appropriate adapter is released.

I'm not the most savvy when it comes to the technical aspects of video cables, but I don't think an adapter is even posibble in this case.

pbmagnet4

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2009
I'm not the most savvy when it comes to the technical aspects of video cables, but I don't think an adapter is even posibble in this case.

I am pretty sure you can only use component and standard definition cables with the ps3 due to HDMI being locked for video capture by Sony. This is all possible. Try the EasyCap for a cheap solution on amazon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.