Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skinniezinho

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 1, 2009
Portugal
Hi guys, currently my DVD burner isn't reading some cds, nor writing them.
I tried a sata burner that I had there, laying around, in 10.5.8 worked fine, in 10.4.11 didn't show up.
Tried patchburn but it didn't detected my burner.
Any suggestions?

rabidz7

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2012
Ohio
Hi guys, currently my DVD burner isn't reading some cds, nor writing them.
I tried a sata burner that I had there, laying around, in 10.5.8 worked fine, in 10.4.11 didn't show up.
Tried patchburn but it didn't detected my burner.
Any suggestions?

You will need a SATA card. G4s are PATA

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
skinnie, in which slot Tempo is installed?

The first 3 PCI slots in a G4 AGP with 4 slots are 1 PCI bus, the 4th slot (pci 4) is a seperate PCI bus and is called a 'bus master' slot. When you want to use a PCI SCSI card, you need to put this card in the 4th slot...

It does apply to all bus master PCI cards AFAIK. While Leo drivers seem to be not sensitive to this, Tiger ones could be contrary. Slot count is starting from AGP.

skinniezinho

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 1, 2009
Portugal
skinnie, in which slot Tempo is installed?

It does apply to all bus master PCI cards AFAIK. While Leo drivers seem to be not sensitive to this, Tiger ones could be contrary. Slot count is starting from AGP.

Guess it is on the latest,but the G4 Gigabit Ethernet (mine) only has 3 slots.

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
My quote was about MDD which does have 4. Try other slots if possible, if it won't help, it's Tiger driver issue. Patchburn is useless in 10.4. It only allowed drive to be seen as "blessed" for Apple software to burn discs. OS and third party burning software should see the drive without it.

skinniezinho

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 1, 2009
Portugal
My quote was about MDD which does have 4. Try other slots if possible, if it won't help, it's Tiger driver issue. Patchburn is useless in 10.4. It only allowed drive to be seen as "blessed" for Apple software to burn discs. OS and third party burning software should see the drive without it.

Thanks for the suggestion.
I will try it on the weekend, but I guess it may be a tiger driver issue, just hoped someone had a solution.PATA/IDE Drives are now "scarce" and used ones are +- the price of SATA ones new (15-20eur).
For now I have this options (used):

Plextor PX-740 -15eur, from what I've searched it is a Benq 1640

NEC ND-3520A - 15eur

LiteOn DVD8900 - 19eur.guess it is a Benq DW1670

Even bought a "Lens Cleaner CD from the ebay" to try first.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.