Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
You looking for something with a built in compiler?

I would recommend using Sublime 2 or another robust, light weight editor. Then save your code on a Linux box to compile it on.

Don't get my wrong, I love Sublime, but it wastes so much time to discover you have trivial syntax errors like a missing semicolon or mismatched parenthesis only during compile on another computer, rather than just using an IDE that tells you about it the moment you make the mistake.

ekiro

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2013
Don't get my wrong, I love Sublime, but it wastes so much time to discover you have trivial syntax errors like a missing semicolon or mismatched parenthesis only during compile on another computer, rather than just using an IDE that tells you about it the moment you make the mistake.

Let me know if you find a light-weight, robust editor. Eclipse doesn't count. :)

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
THANK YOU!

I don't know why so many people like Eclipse. I hate it. I'd use Visual Studio over Eclipse and I don't care for Visual Studio.

I think there's something wrong with our configurations. At work, people always notice how painfully slow Eclipse behaves on my computer relative to theirs. We all have comparable machines running basically the same programs... yet there's something that causes Eclipse on my computer to eat RAM and CPU like nothing else.

But besides the abysmal performance, I just don't like the interface. I don't understand the tabs + sidebar approach a lot of programs use... what do tabs offer that the sidebar doesn't?

subsonix

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2008
You looking for something with a built in compiler?

I would recommend using Sublime 2 or another robust, light weight editor. Then save your code on a Linux box to compile it on.

The Linux recommendation makes no sense. Is he suppose to cross compile to a OS X binary on a Linux box, why? Is the target Linux? I don't think so, nothing in the original post mentioned it.

With a GUI!

There's MacVim. Other editors worth mentioning, TextWrangler and Textmate.

DenBeke

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2011
Antwerp
Don't use Eclipse...

If you want Vim with a user interface, you should take a look at Chocolat.
They have a Vim mode. (apart from that I also like the app)

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
THANK YOU!

I don't know why so many people like Eclipse. I hate it. I'd use Visual Studio over Eclipse and I don't care for Visual Studio.

I'm not a fan of Eclipse, but what do you dislike about Visual Studio?

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir

It's so… IT.

You know, how you'd get a two-page document titled "Setting Up Your Visual Studio Environment" with the Company's Tested & IT Department-Approved Configuration™.

*barf*

IT departments love that ****. Programmers don't.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar

I just think its a sloppy bloated program. I've used it since Visual Studio 6 and right now at work I hop between Visual Studio 2010 and 2012.

Intellisense is flakey, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, its a coin toss. Same goes for right clicking on a function or class to go to the definition. This rarely works (even after a brand new reimage).

There are also the strange inconsistencies like if I am creating a site using html + asp.net sometimes the site will open fine, other times it won't, even if the code has never changed (I already ruled out a computer issue since it happens with the same project on multiple machines).

It just feels like a sloppy program even after all these years.

TFS works great though.

EDIT: As the years go buy I see Xcode get more awesome, and Visual Studio get more bloated :/

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
EDIT: As the years go buy I see Xcode get more awesome, and Visual Studio get more bloated :/

I can't respond well on most of that. I don't know Visual Studio that well, but it doesn't seem that bad. I used it in a course I took a while ago. I do prefer Xcode, but I think it's partly that I gravitate toward OSX when I have a choice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.