Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Winter Charm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 31, 2008
Okay, so I have a little problem here.

I am using my 2TB Firewire/USB 2.0 hard drive with my mac.

I created 2 partitions on the device for use with OS X and bootcamp.

Both partitions work under OS X, but for some reason, The drive is set up like this.

1.25 TB -- Mac OS X Extended (Journaled)
.750 TB -- exFAT

The exFAT partition is for use with windows... except that neither of the partitions are mounting as drives under windows (Windows 7 Home Premium)

Does anyone have any clues on how to get to work again.

Sesshy

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2012
The exFAT partition should be recognized by Windows in any case, so the only thing I can think of is that you're using it over firewire and the Windows drivers don't feel like playing nice. In either case, I suggest using the OSX disk utility under applications -> utilities, select the root of the drive in the left pane, and format the whole drive as exFAT under the "erase" tab. There's no real reason to use a hybrid partition setup on an external drive because both OSes can read and write exFAT natively.

Danish6007

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2012
Bangalore, India
extranal Drive

Hello brother i had 2 the same problem before but i ha managed it , first you can backup all the from the hard drive and re partion it from disk utility on mac and be sure the format is with the MS-DOS , it will be fine and the problem will be solved...:)
All the best...

Winter Charm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 31, 2008
The exFAT partition should be recognized by Windows in any case, so the only thing I can think of is that you're using it over firewire and the Windows drivers don't feel like playing nice. In either case, I suggest using the OSX disk utility under applications -> utilities, select the root of the drive in the left pane, and format the whole drive as exFAT under the "erase" tab. There's no real reason to use a hybrid partition setup on an external drive because both OSes can read and write exFAT natively.

Are there any disadvantages to doing it this way? Will time machine still work? Also I did try it over both, firewire and USB 2.0 - and I didn't see a single mounted partition either time :(

----------

Hello brother i had 2 the same problem before but i ha managed it , first you can backup all the from the hard drive and re partion it from disk utility on mac and be sure the format is with the MS-DOS , it will be fine and the problem will be solved...:)
All the best...

the DOS format will not help me here :/ please figure out what you're talking about before posting.

Stooby Mcdoobie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
I've had a bit of trouble with exFAT drives formatted in OS X showing up in Windows as well. I would try formatting the partition to FAT32 in OS X, then format it back to exFAT in Windows - this is what I've done with all my drives and haven't had any problems since.

Sesshy

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2012
Ah, I had forgotten about Time Machine because I don't actually use it myself. Well, I should have asked to begin with, does the drive show up at all in Windows Disk Management (search for "computer management" under the start menu)? Even if it can't see any partitions, it should be able to see the physical hard drive, at which point you may as well just use Windoze to format it exFAT, and then partition enough drive space in Disk Utility under OSX for Time Machine, which shouldn't be a problem at all because you have 2TB to work with. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.