Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

determined09

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
Hello I was wondering how can I go about finding out if an apartment or a townhouse that I wish to live in has firewalls? I live in the HOuston area. Should I call the local fire department ? Is there a website will you can research apartments or town homes?

Thank you,

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
The age of the building might give you the best idea, but in reality firewalls have been required by building codes for a LONG time.

You would probably have better luck - and certainly better protection - looking for an apartment or townhouse with a fire suppression (sprinkler) system.

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
The age of the building might give you the best idea, but in reality firewalls have been required by building codes for a LONG time.

I don't have the details, but apparently some states have allowed for very cheap and non-fire resistant apartment buildings within the last 5-10 years.

Let me check on this more, but there have been a spate of fairly large complex building burning to the ground due to this cheap construction - or at least that's what I remember from the stories.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
Either find a friend with good construction experience, or pay an inspector. They will know what to look for when they look at a wall. It will be things like how thick it is, what is behind the electrical boxes, etc etc.

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
Additionally, depending on local building codes you may be able to simply look at the building. If you see a wall extending up past the roof, it's almost certainly a firewall (keeps the flames from spreading up and over).

Fire suppression systems (sprinklers) are all well and good, but they come with their own set of problems (like the possibility of a pipe bursting in the unit above yours and flooding your place).

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
Let me check on this more, but there have been a spate of fairly large complex building burning to the ground due to this cheap construction - or at least that's what I remember from the stories.

Firewalls are not intended to keep a building from burning to the ground, despite their name. The purpose, as outlined in the various building codes (most commonly IBC), is to offer occupants enough time to safely evacuate in the event of a fire. In this case, the walls need to have a 2-hour rating, which is two layers of sheet rock on either side of the wall.

Firewalls have been required by building codes for decades. There's a very good chance any modern apartment building has them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.