Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
What do you think about the LTE situation?

On the iPad4 page on Apple Oz website it says not compatible with our LTE system. And yet, during the launch of the iPads Telstra and Optus were on the list of providers on the screen. And, iPhone5 is now compatible, and I'm sure I read elsewhere that the new iPads would be.

Would love to hear from anyone less confused than I am about this!

http://www.apple.com/au/ipad/LTE shows the following information.

The 4th Generation iPad and the iPad mini WiFi + Cellular models are compatible with Telstra and Optus (and Virgin) LTE networks.

Hooray!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-10-27 at 5.21.16 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-10-27 at 5.21.16 PM.png
    80.7 KB · Views: 82

macingman

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
If you want pre-paid, you can already get these via Telstra etc. At Telstra, just grab a pre-paid sim and activate it on the iPad pre-paid plan when your iPad arrives. If you already have a MicroSIM (or get a MicroSIM pre-paid pack), just ask your local Telstra store for a blank nanoSIM and when your ready to set your iPad up get online and do a live chat with Telstra and they can activate the nanoIM and cancel the MicroSIM (hope that makes sense).

I know that but I doubt any of the current iPad prepaid plans allow the use of LTE. I know Optus has no commitment LTE plans for the iPhone 5 so I assume next week we would get some options.

Kristine

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2005
I know that but I doubt any of the current iPad prepaid plans allow the use of LTE.

I used to work for Telstra as a wireless data network technician and do not see this as a problem (i.e. there should be no problem accessing LTE on a prepaid iPad plan as long as the device is LTE supported).

macingman

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
Should I expect the iPad to arrive before the second last day of this month (November)? Apple website says ships "late november" which I hope translates to 22-24 arriving 27-28.

I'm going overseas for a quite a few weeks on the 1st of Dec and need the iPad before then.

supertomtom

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2007
Gold Coast, Australia
My status was updated today. Ordered the LTE version a minute into preordering. Was stated as "Late November" before now it's listed as "Shipping : 1-2 weeks" and "Delivers 26/11/2012 - 03/12/2012 via Standard Shipping"

Guess will have to wait a little bit more...

macingman

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
My status was updated today. Ordered the LTE version a minute into preordering. Was stated as "Late November" before now it's listed as "Shipping : 1-2 weeks" and "Delivers 26/11/2012 - 03/12/2012 via Standard Shipping"

Guess will have to wait a little bit more...
I have the same.
I just spoke to the Apple people via telephone. They assured me despite the website saying that information the iPad will be shipped out tomorrow or Saturday and I will receive it early next week. (Maybe because I purchase a lot from them and I need the iPad by the end of next week before an overseas trip.)

macingman

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
Person on the phone lied. Order not even Preparing for Shipment yet. Gonna call up as soon as they open tomorrow and give them a spray.

Last edited:

supertomtom

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2007
Gold Coast, Australia
Seems like the Australian LTE orders are being prepped. Mine has finally changed status to 'Preparing for shipment'. Here's hoping for an arrival before the end of the week. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.