Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anarchopath

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 7, 2013
rMBP 15"
OS X 10.8.2
Fresh SSD erase and install OS X + update
Installed: BTT and Flash
Safari extensions: adblock

Safari stutters (like a .5 second freeze) every 5 seconds when doing scrolling, typing, general browsing. The cursor doesn't stutter, neither does sound or streaming video (flash, html5, fullscreen or not).

It doesn't always happen. But when it starts, the only fix is to quit Safari relaunch Safari.

Any ideas...? Searching brings up stuff about flash video from years ago and I'm not having that problem. The one or two threads that are about general browsing stuttering have no answers.

anarchopath

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 7, 2013
Sorry I should have been more clear. I'm interested in information on what's causing this within Safari, and in how to resolve it so I can continue using Safari without the stuttering.

NMF

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2011
Sorry I should have been more clear. I'm interested in information on what's causing this within Safari, and in how to resolve it so I can continue using Safari without the stuttering.

Nope, you were clear enough the first time. You're looking for an answer that does not exist. Safari is buggy garbage. You need to dump it and move on to a real browser.

anarchopath

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 7, 2013
I've been on Chrome/Firefox/Safari across Windows/Mac/Ubuntu/Android/iOS. I respect your opinion, and I could argue for days about browsers, but please don't derail this. Right now I'm enjoying Safari and trying to resolve a specific issue.

robert05au

macrumors regular
May 19, 2005
Dubbo, NSW
I have also noticed something very similar with safari since 6.0.2 so far the only fix but not 100% is resetting safari. This worked for about a week before it started again

I have checked permissions and hard drive for errors both were fine.

I have the following extensions

adblock
flashblock
ebay
WOT
iGetter

I have tried disabling each of them one by one made no difference then disabling all and still no change.

For me at least it is possibly some form of bug in safari or between safari and the system.

I also would like to find out more about it and if it possible to fixit

I am using Firefox for now as the problem is there and I need to be on the net as part of my work

scarred

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Chrome leap frogged Safari in terms of retina performance. I've been a staunch safari user since I got my first mac two years ago, but this month switched to Chrome and have been much happier. Page loads and scrolling are much much better on my rmbp 13 with Chrome.

I'm guessing this is all due to Safari lagging behind with updates. As people posted above, all the magic is in WebKit that both Safari and Chrome leverage. Seems like Chrome got the new improvements first...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.