Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Old Feb 25, 2013, 08:50 AM   #1
awintersdaybyth
macrumors newbie

Education discount instore vs online

Does anyone know if there should be any difference between the educational discount offered online compared to that in store?

I bought a new macbook pro and a airport extreme on the weekend, and thought the educational discount (I work in HE) I was offered wasn't that high.

Ive checked out the education discount I can get online today, and it turns out the discount offered online is around 100 more than I got in store.

Do you think it might be worth challenging this differential, or is it assumed that online education store will be bigger online?
awintersdaybyth is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 09:03 AM   #2
Efrem
macrumors member

In the U.S., there's no requirement that the price in different channels be the same as long as the seller doesn't claim it is. If anyone had told you in the store "you can't get it for less online," you'd have a case.

It's also possible that the price happened to drop in the two days between your purchase and your online check. Prices do drop, after all. They have to drop sometime. It may just be your luck that it happened when it did.

Still, I'd raise the point with the store. If it's not too much trouble, and the difference is still there, you may be able to return the one you bought and get it online. Or, if the store price went down as well, you may get a refund of the difference. It doesn't cost anything to ask.
Efrem is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 10:01 AM   #3
awintersdaybyth
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efrem View Post
In the U.S., there's no requirement that the price in different channels be the same as long as the seller doesn't claim it is. If anyone had told you in the store "you can't get it for less online," you'd have a case.

It's also possible that the price happened to drop in the two days between your purchase and your online check. Prices do drop, after all. They have to drop sometime. It may just be your luck that it happened when it did.

Still, I'd raise the point with the store. If it's not too much trouble, and the difference is still there, you may be able to return the one you bought and get it online. Or, if the store price went down as well, you may get a refund of the difference. It doesn't cost anything to ask.
Ok, thanks for the advice. I think I'm just going to politely raise it with them to see whether the discount was applied correctly.
awintersdaybyth is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2013, 11:36 AM   #4
Adhikari
macrumors newbie

Well discount rate vary from store to store or places. Every one need to research a lot before purchasing anything for better price option.
Adhikari is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2013, 05:04 PM   #5
Hermes Monster
macrumors 6502a

Are you sure you were looking at the correct Educational store online? I believe there are three different options, each of which has varying amounts of discount.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice