Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 19, 2013, 12:58 PM   #51
Sedulous
macrumors 65816
 
Sedulous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolspot18 View Post
Your facts are a bit sketchy. China and Japan both hold about 1 trillion in US debt, but it is acknowledged widely that China is the largest foreign holder of US debt.

Foreigners hold 47% of US debt while Americans hold 53%. Not such a wide margin - 6% in the grand scheme of things isn't much.
Not sure how my facts are sketchy. The governments of China and Japan may each hold around 1 T each but Japan as a whole holds more US debt. Again, US citizens are by far the majority holder of US debt. Closest is Japan who holds around 13% of that debt.

Anyways, back on topic. China's population is actually going to decrease significantly because the 1 child policy. They will have a large elderly population, many of whom do not have retirement savings of any kind and likely will depend on their child for support. This will cut deeply into China's appeal as a rich target market. Furthermore, with fewer workers, labor costs will go up just when companies are realizing it may be cheaper to on-shore jobs back to the US.
Sedulous is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 01:47 PM   #52
coolspot18
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedulous View Post
Not sure how my facts are sketchy. The governments of China and Japan may each hold around 1 T each but Japan as a whole holds more US debt. Again, US citizens are by far the majority holder of US debt. Closest is Japan who holds around 13% of that debt.
Straight from the Treasury:

http://www.treasury.gov/resource-cen...uments/mfh.txt

Look at who is at the top?
coolspot18 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 02:08 PM   #53
Sedulous
macrumors 65816
 
Sedulous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolspot18 View Post
Straight from the Treasury:

http://www.treasury.gov/resource-cen...uments/mfh.txt

Look at who is at the top?
These are governments and does not include privately held debts.
Sedulous is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 07:22 PM   #54
devianter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolspot18 View Post
Your own link proves that I was correct... There are already more Chinese than English speakers in the world... And by 2050 there will be even more.

And that slide is a joke... 2011 - 1 billion broken english speakers. 2015 - 3 billion. Yes, in the span of 4 years 2 billion people will learn English - I think not.

Thank you???
This is actually a research done by a university. Not the slide, the info it contains. Wikipedia has zero credibility for me. Also, WHERE do you exactly see 1 billion? It says TWO. Open your eyes. In the span of 4 years one billion will learn English on SOME level, we're not talking about native speakers or very competent speakers. English is taught literally EVERYWHERE, why does that come to you as a surprise? Think about how many indians will speak English 4 years from now. Imagine how many chinese will. Impressive. Chinese will never be an international language. It's too difficult. English (spanish could be too) is a perfect example of a reasonable choice for the international language since esperanto failed its expectations. Life is more and more digital nowadays. English is there too. Internet, like you said. Business, media. Think about television (sports fans (nba, nfl, nhl) movies, tv shows. What about traveling? English is a MUST today.
devianter is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 08:15 PM   #55
HarmoBoy
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by devianter View Post
This is actually a research done by a university. Not the slide, the info it contains. Wikipedia has zero credibility for me. Also, WHERE do you exactly see 1 billion? It says TWO. Open your eyes. In the span of 4 years one billion will learn English on SOME level, we're not talking about native speakers or very competent speakers. English is taught literally EVERYWHERE, why does that come to you as a surprise? Think about how many indians will speak English 4 years from now. Imagine how many chinese will. Impressive. Chinese will never be an international language. It's too difficult. English (spanish could be too) is a perfect example of a reasonable choice for the international language since esperanto failed its expectations. Life is more and more digital nowadays. English is there too. Internet, like you said. Business, media. Think about television (sports fans (nba, nfl, nhl) movies, tv shows. What about traveling? English is a MUST today.
As a Chinese I don't agree (at least not fully agree) with you said.
Firstly, India has 2 official languages: Hindi / English but China has only one, which is Mandarin.

In China, it is a respect to this country / culture that you should speak Mandarin as much as possible (I think it also works for Japanese) so you won't see two Chinese talking to each other in English even they are actually capable of. But in South Asia, I noticed in countries like Singapore or India, people speak English as much as they can in working environment and considered it as "professional". There is a culture difference. I'm not sure whether you know any Chinese in your country but if you know probably you'll noticed that most Chinese parents will force their children to learn / write Chinese and ask them to speak in Chinese at least in home even everyone in the family can actually speak in English ... it is all culture difference buddy.

Back to the topic, i don't surprise at all to see that China is becoming the biggest market to use iOS. One of the reasons is that people (esp old people) don't use computer a lot because its really hard / painful for them to type Chinese characters. You'll have to learn how to use English alphabet to present the pronunciation of Chinese characters, and then you will be able to type Chinese characters. But with an iPad... boom... you will be able to write directly on the screen, and for those who haven't used computer to check out internet it becomes so easy with ipad as what yo u need to do is just tap here and there, enlarge it if you are old and cannot see the word / picture clearly.

I'm not very weathly but I bought iPads for my mother, my father / mother in law, and they just love it so much. After my uncle see my iPad he bought one for himself... and then some of them start to use iPhone and un-surprisingly they finally learned how to send SMS. Apple really changed their life...
HarmoBoy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 11:40 PM   #56
dampfnudel
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by leon44 View Post
Well you say that but 43m in the UK is actually one for about 72% of people, 220m in the USA is 1 for just 70% of people
Opened my mouth too soon again.
__________________
iPhone 5s (64GB) | iPad Air (128GB)
dampfnudel is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 12:30 AM   #57
coolspot18
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by devianter View Post
This is actually a research done by a university. Not the slide, the info it contains
Which university? Looks like you whipped up the slide yourself. At least on Wikipedia there are some citations. And you're quite naive to believe 1 billion people will learn English to have a basic understand in 4 years ... that's a very tall order.


Quote:
Originally Posted by devianter View Post
Chinese will never be an international language. It's too difficult. English (spanish could be too) is a perfect example of a reasonable choice for the international language since esperanto failed its expectations. Life is more and more digital nowadays. English is there too. Internet, like you said. Business, media. Think about television (sports fans (nba, nfl, nhl) movies, tv shows. What about traveling? English is a MUST today.
French was the lingua franca up until World War II... in a span of 80 years it was replaced with English.


But maybe in another 80s years we won't need to know any other languages... because we'll have a universal translator in our pockets

Last edited by coolspot18; Feb 20, 2013 at 12:39 AM.
coolspot18 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 06:28 PM   #58
devianter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarmoBoy View Post
As a Chinese I don't agree (at least not fully agree) with you said.
Firstly, India has 2 official languages: Hindi / English but China has only one, which is Mandarin.

In China, it is a respect to this country / culture that you should speak Mandarin as much as possible (I think it also works for Japanese) so you won't see two Chinese talking to each other in English even they are actually capable of. But in South Asia, I noticed in countries like Singapore or India, people speak English as much as they can in working environment and considered it as "professional". There is a culture difference. I'm not sure whether you know any Chinese in your country but if you know probably you'll noticed that most Chinese parents will force their children to learn / write Chinese and ask them to speak in Chinese at least in home even everyone in the family can actually speak in English ... it is all culture difference buddy.

Back to the topic, i don't surprise at all to see that China is becoming the biggest market to use iOS. One of the reasons is that people (esp old people) don't use computer a lot because its really hard / painful for them to type Chinese characters. You'll have to learn how to use English alphabet to present the pronunciation of Chinese characters, and then you will be able to type Chinese characters. But with an iPad... boom... you will be able to write directly on the screen, and for those who haven't used computer to check out internet it becomes so easy with ipad as what yo u need to do is just tap here and there, enlarge it if you are old and cannot see the word / picture clearly.

I'm not very weathly but I bought iPads for my mother, my father / mother in law, and they just love it so much. After my uncle see my iPad he bought one for himself... and then some of them start to use iPhone and un-surprisingly they finally learned how to send SMS. Apple really changed their life...
i play basketball with some chinese friends. i know what you mean. you didn't get me. i'm saying people learn and "know" english, not use it instead of their mother tongue. i'm talking about L2 and how it's easier to live when you know english. i'm from italy though. apple stuff is awesome, agree.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolspot18 View Post
Which university? Looks like you whipped up the slide yourself. At least on Wikipedia there are some citations. And you're quite naive to believe 1 billion people will learn English to have a basic understand in 4 years ... that's a very tall order.




French was the lingua franca up until World War II... in a span of 80 years it was replaced with English.


But maybe in another 80s years we won't need to know any other languages... because we'll have a universal translator in our pockets
i'm sorry but i have nothing more to say to you. you bring nothing new to the discussion and just trying to diminish what i'm saying. that's not how it works. if you noticed, i'm not talking about what i believe. i give you facts. actual work, research and studies done by a university of verona in collaboration with british council. if that's not enough i'm sorry. have a good day.
devianter is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 01:30 AM   #59
ProwlingTiger
macrumors 65816
 
ProwlingTiger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul4339 View Post
the goal of the report was to highlight the growing Chinese mobile computing market and how it's overtaken the US. I think it wasn't really intended to an iOS vs Android report.

.
Still, go the extra mile.
__________________
128GB Gold iPhone Plus & other stuff
ProwlingTiger is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 11:48 PM   #60
cosmichobo
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedulous View Post
Not sure how my facts are sketchy. The governments of China and Japan may each hold around 1 T each but Japan as a whole holds more US debt. Again, US citizens are by far the majority holder of US debt. Closest is Japan who holds around 13% of that debt.
Was always under the impression that if Japan or China had major internal issues and needed to call in their US-based debts, that the US would be wiped out...

13%... Well, that's not much... only around $2,211,765,200,952. I'm sure the US could come up with that kind of money when the next big quake wipes Japan out...
__________________
24" Early 2009 iMac
iPhone 5S
cosmichobo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2013, 03:55 AM   #61
Vicky Lin
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2013
Chinese good android tablet brand

yes, really. Chinese people are smart enough t build many excellent android tabet brand. Ainol, Newsmy, and so on. http://www.newsmyglobal.com/
__________________
Latest android Tablet-Newsmy S8 Mini compared IPAD MINI
Vicky Lin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2013, 02:09 PM   #62
bukowski on ice
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: San Francisco
I wonder if Apple and Android will put more focus into their international campaigns now. Or maybe they already have. Anyone know for sure?
bukowski on ice is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
China Mobile Adds One Million iPhone Users in February MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 47 Mar 24, 2014 02:35 PM
Predictions on first car to hit the market with IOS integration? Iamgort iPhone 9 Jun 20, 2013 04:14 PM
Nearly 300 Million Devices Running iOS 6, 60% of All iOS Devices Ever MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 139 Jan 31, 2013 02:10 PM
Can the Market support 3 OS's (IOS, Android and Win 8) vcoleiro1 Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 39 Nov 2, 2012 04:25 AM
Google's Eric Schmidt: 1.3 million Android activations a day, 480 million devices WW digital.l0gic Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 1 Sep 5, 2012 06:24 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:06 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC