Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

despak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2012
My rMBP-15 was exactly a month old this week, when I found out that the thunderbolt ports were not working properly.

I tested the ports using both the ethernet adapter and the VGA adapter (for overhead projection).

The port closer to the Magsafe port would work occasionally, but the other thunderbolt port was not working at all - no ethernet and no video output. Took it to the Apple Store and they confirmed the problem. Since the repair would require replacing the main logic board, they graciously replaced the machine (even though it was past the 14 day return period).

My bigger concern is that on the rMBP, the thunderbolt ports are machined incorrectly, and a rather loose fit results. The adapters in the rMBP do not fit as tightly and snugly as the VGA adapter fit in the display port of my old cMBP-13 (mid-2009).

With my rMBP that failed, I was plugging in the thunderbolt ethernet adapter every day. Now, with the new replacement machine, I will try to avoid that. The fit is so loose that I am afraid this problem will happen again.

WRP

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2011
Boston
Or you could get Applecare which your should for any laptop you move around and use it like you should be able to and not worry about such little things...

thedarkhorse

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2007
Canada
might be an isolated issue, the thunderbolt ports on my retina seem to be pretty snug, I've used both for ethernet and firewire no issues.

sectime

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2007
Or you could get Applecare which your should for any laptop you move around and use it like you should be able to and not worry about such little things...
A really helpful post there:cool:
Are you using Apple cables? Not sure loose fit would effect the MB connections.

despak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2012
Both my adapters -- ethernet and video -- are Apple products.

I had Applecare on the previous (1 month old) rMBP-15, as I do on the replacement rMBP. So, yes, that gives me some peace of mind, but I am not looking forward to my thunderbolt ports failing 2 years from now, and then facing the downtime as the logic board is replaced under Applecare.

And I just compared again with my old mid-2009 cMBP-13 (which has the older display port). The Apple-made adapters are just that much more tight and snug on the older machine.

I love the rMBP, and hope this failure is rare and bites nobody else, but a few others have also commented previously about loose thunderbolt ports:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1421043/

nephilim7

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2008
all Apple products have a year of Applecare, the only difference being the 'free' version limits your use of telephone support. You can purchase the other 2 years of Applecare at any point in the first year, I don't buy it on anything until the 12th month.

WRP

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2011
Boston
all Apple products have a year of Applecare, the only difference being the 'free' version limits your use of telephone support. You can purchase the other 2 years of Applecare at any point in the first year, I don't buy it on anything until the 12th month.

Thanks captain obvious... :confused:

My point being was it doesn't matter, you still only get it for 3 years total no matter when you buy it. I was telling the OP to get it and use their computer the way it was intended. Not using a port because you think it may be fragile on a brand new machine isn't brilliant.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.