Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobright

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
So I am in the process of having all my music and photos backed up to the Mac and doing regular back ups. I had a question though do you guys keep a sepearate set of your files outside of these backup methods? e.g since my music is backed up in one of these methods delete the mp3s

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
Do you mean, "since I have the files on another drive, I can take them off this one"?

If that is the case, certainly not. It misses the point of backups- if one drive fails, the other has the backup.

bobright

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
Do you mean, "since I have the files on another drive, I can take them off this one"?

If that is the case, certainly not. It misses the point of backups- if one drive fails, the other has the backup.
I'm saying do you keep say a separate standalone folder in addition to the backup with all the same data that is in your backup?

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
I have a Time Machine backup and Carbon Copy Clone on one drive with separate partitions

I have another Carbon Copy Clone on another drive

I have most everything in Dropbox as well

Matador Red

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2012
OP, are you asking if we delete the originals after backing up or are you asking if we have originals and 2 backups?

If you delete the originals from your drive, time machine will remove them from your backup.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
My Aperture Library lives on three drives. The data drive in my Mac, an external that backs that drive up and another separate drive with just my Pictures folder. I still feel like I'm missing something since they are all on-site drives.

I gave up on Time Machine and use only CCC.

Dale

bobright

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
OP, are you asking if we delete the originals after backing up or are you asking if we have originals and 2 backups?

If you delete the originals from your drive, time machine will remove them from your backup.

No, not taking about the original files on the Mac. I'm saying say you have an external with a Time Machine backup of your iMac. Do you also have another external with all your files as well like a manual backup with folders for music/photos etc by themselves?

I'm basically saying do you backup to an external and also keep all your data files by themselves as well on another drive (outside of using a backup program).

bobright

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
I have a Time Machine backup and Carbon Copy Clone on one drive with separate partitions

I have another Carbon Copy Clone on another drive

I have most everything in Dropbox as well
Hmm so there's really no need for a seperate location with a folder of all your backed up stuff? I'm guessing a TM and CCC backup should be enough?
My Aperture Library lives on three drives. The data drive in my Mac, an external that backs that drive up and another separate drive with just my Pictures folder. I still feel like I'm missing something since they are all on-site drives.

I gave up on Time Machine and use only CCC.

Dale
This is why I was asking if its a good idea to keep the files alone someplace else outside the backup. Do you do this as you're scared the backup might get mucked up somehow?

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
Hmm so there's really no need for a seperate location with a folder of all your backed up stuff? I'm guessing a TM and CCC backup should be enough?

This is why I was asking if its a good idea to keep the files alone someplace else outside the backup. Do you do this as you're scared the backup might get mucked up somehow?

But this is only a problem if both the backup and original "get mucked up" at the same time. As long as you check the integrity of your backup regularly you should be fine in the event that you lose the original.

However, I keep a TM backup and a CCC backup, since the TM backup is useful for accidentally deletions but the CCC backup is more useful in the case of the original HD failing. I keep the CCC backup at work (and just bring it home 1 night a week to make the actual backup).

I also have my important documents and pictures backed up to the cloud (box.net) for an additional precaution.

boto

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2012
Time Capsule for Time Machine backups and a 3.0 external hard drive using CCC is all I need to retrieve any important information. People should really consider Apple's Time Capsule solution for backups. Sure, it may be slow when transferring data or backing up from it, but the seamless usage makes it all worthwhile for the price and features.

I have automatic backup from MacBook Air and iMac onto a Time Capsule on the network and ever so often I take a Time Machine backup onto a USB drive that I then store in the garage.

That way I could recover if there was a house fire—the garage is at bottom of the garden, not integral with the house.

Last edited:

Ubele

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2008

Just curious: what's the reason for having two different backups on one drive? If the drive fails, won't you lose both backups?

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Just curious: what's the reason for having two different backups on one drive? If the drive fails, won't you lose both backups?

As swiftaw stated above, TM is great for accidental deletions and going back for versions and stuffs

CCC is great for a catastrophic failure and is bootable

I keep both on the same drive because they are for different purposes
I keep an additional CCC on a separate drive in case of failure of the first backup drive

2012Tony2012

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2012
I creaated 8 partitions on my external USB Hard drive and only use CCC to make backups on different dates. I don't bother with Time Machine at all!

Ubele

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2008
As swiftaw stated above, TM is great for accidental deletions and going back for versions and stuffs

I keep an additional CCC on a separate drive in case of failure of the first backup drive

Got it – thanks!

bobright

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010

Awesome you nailed everything going to follow your backup plan :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.