Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lightz39

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 30, 2012
I was just watching a video on youtube of someone playing Star Wars the old republic via parallels running at 50-60 fps. I know this game isn't a monster but its one I'd like to play. Is emulation really come this far? Will having 16gb of ram help with this?

Jaguarxl

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2012
Brazil
I'm playing Borderlands 2 on parallels. Full graphics and all... I don't think I'm running at 60fps, but I can play very well without major problems.
I'm doing that until aspyr releases the new patch so I can play with my pc fellows!

That's the setup I came up to play:
Windows 8 Pro
4 cores (I have an i7 CPU)
8gb ram
1gb video
Max performance while running parallels

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I'm playing Borderlands 2 on parallels. Full graphics and all... I don't think I'm running at 60fps, but I can play very well without major problems.
I'm doing that until aspyr releases the new patch so I can play with my pc fellows!

That's the setup I came up to play:
Windows 8 Pro
4 cores (I have an i7 CPU)
8gb ram
1gb video
Max performance while running parallels

Quick question for you. How are you running Borderlands 2 on Parallels? I can't get it to load. I fire up Steam, load the game, and nothing happens. No splash screen, nothing. It's like I never tried to run it. :(

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
Quick question for you. How are you running Borderlands 2 on Parallels? I can't get it to load. I fire up Steam, load the game, and nothing happens. No splash screen, nothing. It's like I never tried to run it. :(

I am curious why you'd bother with this when the game is Steamplay and surely the OS X version would perform better than the Windows one in a virtual machine on the same hardware.

NMF

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2011
I am curious why you'd bother with this when the game is Steamplay and surely the OS X version would perform better than the Windows one in a virtual machine on the same hardware.

He pretty much stated why in his post -- the Mac and PC versions of Borderlands 2 are currently segregated in multiplayer and he has friends he likes to play with on PC.

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
He pretty much stated why in his post -- the Mac and PC versions of Borderlands 2 are currently segregated in multiplayer and he has friends he likes to play with on PC.

If the Mac and Windows versions of the software are the same, Steam allows for cross-platform multiplayer. This is not possible with the MAS version of the game.

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012

I was replying to WilliamG.

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2012
i run into a basic problem when trying to play using parallels and steam. when i use parallels 9 with my boot camp partition, it works fine but internet doesnt work.

when i use it with a separate small test parallels installation internet works fine, so it must be related to bootcamp, but due to that steam wont run and games cant be played so i cant tell

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle

Answered indeed, below. The Mac/PC versions don't share anything.

Still no idea how to make it load in Parallels 9 + Windows 7. Very sad. :(

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Versions

Just to clarify a bit, because the current posts are a bit confusing (at least to me). It is possible to play cross platform trough Steam, with games like Borderlands, but only when both are on the same version. Aspyr is a bit behind when it comes to update cycles, so if a patch is released on Windows, you can't play Mac-Windows, until Aspyr updates to the same version number, even if the patch only solves Windows issues. (When the game tries to make a multiplayer session, it checks if the string for the version number is the same, and if it is not, the connection will not be made).

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
Just to clarify a bit, because the current posts are a bit confusing (at least to me). It is possible to play cross platform trough Steam, with games like Borderlands, but only when both are on the same version. Aspyr is a bit behind when it comes to update cycles, so if a patch is released on Windows, you can't play Mac-Windows, until Aspyr updates to the same version number, even if the patch only solves Windows issues. (When the game tries to make a multiplayer session, it checks if the string for the version number is the same, and if it is not, the connection will not be made).

That is a good point and I was aware of that but I thought Aspyr tends to resolve version inconsistencies in a fairly timely manner. I can see how that might be fine with me and not good enough for someone else who wants to play with friends playing the Windows version very frequently though.

Janichsan

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
All the Borderlands 2 patches in the last year or so were released concurrently for Windows and Mac, so that issue is virtually non-existant.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
I was unaware

All the Borderlands 2 patches in the last year or so were released concurrently for Windows and Mac, so that issue is virtually non-existant.

I was unaware of this. Civilization V usually has a little lag time when it comes to Mac updates, so that's what I based my comment on. I thought it was the case with BL2 as well, especially since the previous posts used it as an argument.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
I would not reccomend gaming in a virtual machine unless the game is at least five year old.

mintfan7200

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2014
Virtual Machines usually do not run games as good as in bootcamp , but you can still get good performance in a virtual machine it has gotten a lot better over the years but it depends on how old your mac is and how much ram and what kind of video card you have .

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.